Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaking noise!!! Please help!!!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Squeaking noise!!! Please help!!!

Ok, so I've noticed while driving when I apply the brake I can hear a squeaking noise. Almost sounds as though it's break related, but I've had the brakes & components looked at twice in the last 2 months and all is good. The sound is driving me nuts!! I can't pinpoint the exact location of the sound...just sounds like it's in the axle/wheel/break area....Sounds like I am driving around a P.O.S....the Jeep is all stock and a manual transmission w/about 38,000 miles. I've looked for debris that may cause issues an nothing! Any ideas???
Old 01-05-2011, 09:57 PM
JK Newbie

Its only when braking? I would think its the pads or might want to try having the rotors turned. Could be the problem.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is only when breaking...with slight pressure. Once I put more pressure down to stop it goes away. I've had the pads/rotors and everything checked out and it's good. No idea where this damn noise is coming from....
Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

VERY INTERESTING! I just started to get the exact same noise! Only when lightly breaking and it is driving me nuts!! 32000 miles and a 6spd...I can't figure out what it is!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

Sounds like either the pads/rotors are glazed or the brake hardware needs to be lubricated. Tear down the brakes, have the rotors turned and the pads scuffed (you can do this by rubbing them on concrete). Clean all of the surfaces with brake cleaner. Reassemble using brake lube on all the moving parts that are metal to metal. The noise should be gone.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it the rear? If it is pull the caliper and rotor off and check the axle flange. I just started the jeep and put it in gear and watched the flange on the axle. Mine was tweaked and wobbling causing that squeak squeak squeak. Mine started out only doing it under light braking but then it got to the point were it was doing it all the time. Good luck!!
Old 01-06-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Only 1
Is it the rear? If it is pull the caliper and rotor off and check the axle flange. I just started the jeep and put it in gear and watched the flange on the axle. Mine was tweaked and wobbling causing that squeak squeak squeak. Mine started out only doing it under light braking but then it got to the point were it was doing it all the time. Good luck!!
X2. I had a bent rear driver axel flange. If that is the case replace with chromolly shafts. You can get both sides for the price a dealer will charge you for one side
Old 01-06-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

38K and you've never changed your rear pads?? it's the wear bar indicator on the rear pads.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

My was squeeking from the front with light pedal pressure. I replaced the shims that sit between the caliper bracket and the brake pad. My squeeks went away.

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise!!! Please help!!!