Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaking coming from clutch?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking coming from clutch?

After a day of off-roading (with a bit of unavoidable mud/water) I noticed my clutch kind of ticks/squeaks when engaged. As soon as I put any bit of pressure on the clutch peddle it goes away. I can only really hear it though when stopped I'm traffic or by a barrier. Any ideas?
Old 08-09-2015, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Kinda sounds like your throwout bearing. Mine doesn't squeak, but it does tick. It's been doing it since I noticed it about 25k or 30k miles.
Like you, I can hear it when I'm idling next to a wall. And I can hear it on a quiet night. I'm about 65k miles now and it still sounds the same. They're cheap throwout bearings. Google something like JK Throwout Bearing and you'll be able to read a lot about them and what guys are doing.
But then again, I may be totally wrong and your sound is coming from somewhere else.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's one of the things I thought it could be. Would make sense. I have almost 86,000 on my Jeep.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you change it, I've read that people say to use National throwout bearings.
I've been looking real hard at Centerforce. I want a better clutch and a heavier flywheel, but I haven't seen what throwout bearing they're using. Still researching at this time.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

When my clutch does go in definitely upgrading to centerforce. If I'm spending that much I'm putting in something better.

Quick Reply: Squeaking coming from clutch?