Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeaking... 2012 JKR

Old 07-01-2012, 05:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking... 2012 JKR

So back story, I purchased a 2012 JK Sport S. @2000 miles replaced transmission cooler pump because it was whining really loud. @7000 miles went into the shop for head replacement. After the JK Sport S had been in the shop 2 weeks for head replacement I decided to trade it in and get myself a different Jeep.

I now own a 2012 JKR, the 2012 JK Sport S is STILL in the shop almost 4 weeks later. (I traded it to another dealer in the area. The original dealer is doing the work, and has no idea its' been sold yet.)

So I pick up my new JKR a week ago, take it on a break-in drive. Get about 150 miles on it and there's this crazy annoying squeak/squeal driving down the road. Immediately drive back to the dealer and explain, they take it on a test drive hear it and figure it's a hard spot in the brakes or a rock stuck somewhere in the front wheel/brakes. Take the brakes apart, grind the brake pad down, resurface the rotors and send me on my way.

Noise is still there, take it back again, and they think it's the wheel bearing on the driver side front. Leave for Mexico, leave the truck with them. They replace the front driver side bearing and both front driver and passenger side brake pads. They drive it 150 miles to see if the noise is gone and return it to me yesterday afternoon stating they can't hear the noise.

I start to take the jeep up to my cruising area, and get about 5 miles from the dealership when I notice it's squeaking on the passenger side. Drive back to the dealer, they, without hesitation, order a new passenger side bearing. Assuming of course that the bearing fixed the issue on the other side.

Well long story short, the passenger squeaking was not all that bad so I decided to continue to drive the vehicle, get back to the same spot 5 miles away and the drivers side is doing it and it's as loud as it was before I took it in!

I'm super frustrated, all I want is a freaking jeep! However, I can't seem to get a jeep that doesn't have initial quality/build problems!

The squeaking is a noise that would sound like brake squeakers, my wife described it as if we had birds chirping in the front tires, only starts after the truck has been on the road X number of miles... gets noticeably louder immediately after hitting a bump in the road once it has started. Once the squeaking starts, if I park the car for 5-10 minutes it goes away, but a few miles down the road it starts again. THE SQUEAKING DOES NOT VARY WITH BRAKING AT ALL.

The only other thing I can think of is something in the front axle making the noise, first reaction to that suggestion to the dealer tech was met with a 'nah.'

Anyone else have this problem, or maybe some insight as to what could be causing it?

-A Very frustrated Jeep owner.

Last edited by fellstar; 07-01-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

I posted a question similar to this yesterday, but mine sounds like it's coming from the rear, and disappears when I turn. I feel no difference in performance, but I am concerned it could be a worsening problem. I'm hoping to pull the wheel off today and see if I can find something.

Please keep us posted if you find anything out.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:18 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same squeal on y new 12 JKUR MW3 for the first few hundred miles. It went away so I never took it in. It was on the passenger side but I could not tell of it was front of back.
I half thought I was out of my mind so I'm glad to read this
Old 07-01-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

This isn't a noise anyone with half a brain would drive around with.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:34 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by fellstar
This isn't a noise anyone with half a brain would drive around with.

Agreed unless its not a wheel bearing. The first three thousand miles I had horrible metal on metal noise every time I turned at speed. But, after breaking her in I was on a much planned trip up the Western Coast line and new what the problem was. The dealer replaced the the brake dust shield as it was eaten. Hard to imagine that bearings just keep going out, but the dam dust shields are very easily bent and sound like a screaming bearing.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

2012 Rubi 2 DR.... only 900+ Mi....Same pass side squeaking here...dealer had it up on lift they heard a slight squeaking, but according to dealer "nothing they could really fix....maybe a burr on brakes"...sent me on my way....still squeaking....seems to come and go. Turned up stereo and am praying it stops! -T
Old 04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fellstar
So back story, I purchased a 2012 JK Sport S. @2000 miles replaced transmission cooler pump because it was whining really loud. @7000 miles went into the shop for head replacement. After the JK Sport S had been in the shop 2 weeks for head replacement I decided to trade it in and get myself a different Jeep.

I now own a 2012 JKR, the 2012 JK Sport S is STILL in the shop almost 4 weeks later. (I traded it to another dealer in the area. The original dealer is doing the work, and has no idea its' been sold yet.)

So I pick up my new JKR a week ago, take it on a break-in drive. Get about 150 miles on it and there's this crazy annoying squeak/squeal driving down the road. Immediately drive back to the dealer and explain, they take it on a test drive hear it and figure it's a hard spot in the brakes or a rock stuck somewhere in the front wheel/brakes. Take the brakes apart, grind the brake pad down, resurface the rotors and send me on my way.

Noise is still there, take it back again, and they think it's the wheel bearing on the driver side front. Leave for Mexico, leave the truck with them. They replace the front driver side bearing and both front driver and passenger side brake pads. They drive it 150 miles to see if the noise is gone and return it to me yesterday afternoon stating they can't hear the noise.

I start to take the jeep up to my cruising area, and get about 5 miles from the dealership when I notice it's squeaking on the passenger side. Drive back to the dealer, they, without hesitation, order a new passenger side bearing. Assuming of course that the bearing fixed the issue on the other side.

Well long story short, the passenger squeaking was not all that bad so I decided to continue to drive the vehicle, get back to the same spot 5 miles away and the drivers side is doing it and it's as loud as it was before I took it in!

I'm super frustrated, all I want is a freaking jeep! However, I can't seem to get a jeep that doesn't have initial quality/build problems!

The squeaking is a noise that would sound like brake squeakers, my wife described it as if we had birds chirping in the front tires, only starts after the truck has been on the road X number of miles... gets noticeably louder immediately after hitting a bump in the road once it has started. Once the squeaking starts, if I park the car for 5-10 minutes it goes away, but a few miles down the road it starts again. THE SQUEAKING DOES NOT VARY WITH BRAKING AT ALL.

The only other thing I can think of is something in the front axle making the noise, first reaction to that suggestion to the dealer tech was met with a 'nah.'

Anyone else have this problem, or maybe some insight as to what could be causing it?

-A Very frustrated Jeep owner.
What did this end up being? I am having same issues.

Quick Reply: Squeaking... 2012 JKR