Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Squeacking underneath the Jeep

Old 08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeacking underneath the Jeep

I've been hearing this annoying squeacking coming from underneath (cant determine exactly which side) ever since I lifted the Jeep. You can see in my signature the details of my lift. The sound become more persistent and constant on bumpy roads.
Could it be the driveshaft hitting the transmission? or maybe the driveshaft Ujoints or rear axle Ujoints?
I dont wanna mess anything underneath the Jeep before diagnosing the problem so any suggestions is really appreciated.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Thats Normal Sir.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dgnr8
Thats Normal Sir.
X2. Usually is bushings or sway bar disconnects. I can't see if you have disco's or not right now, I'm on my mobile. This is definitely normal with lifting vehicles.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dgnr8
Thats Normal Sir.
hopefully you're right this sound has been annoying me for a while
Old 08-15-2011, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

I have a squeak too but cannot ascertain the cause. Left rear side. Hmmm.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

I have the same problem after lifting mine. I found that it was the rear lower control arm bushing.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

had a noise too that annoyed me for a couple days. finally noticed a loose shock mount bolt.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hose a section down with WD40, drive a bit and see if that makes it go away. Once the squeak goes a way, you've narrowed down the problem, or at the very least you can determine where the squeak isn't. I would look for contact between the springs and the body and at the rear right shock and rear right bump stop (personal experience). I seem to recall a problem with the boot on the front drive shaft occasionally rubbing on the automatic transmissions, but that would just wear a way. I think it's unlikely that it's your u-joints if you noticed it right after installing the budget boost. You can give the u-joints on the drive shafts and the front axle a good shaking and see if there's noticeable play in them though.

Quick Reply: Squeacking underneath the Jeep