Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spray in Liners...

Old 03-18-2007, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray in Liners...

anyone ever Line-X or Herculiner the inside tub of a Jeep? like yank out all the carpet and put down spray in liner? i am wanting to do this but not sure about noise and heat transfer. any help would be awesome.
Old 03-18-2007, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

I looked into it back when I had my TJ. What I learned was that it really reduces vibrations, because it adds a fair amount of mass to the tub. Heat transfer isn't too bad, and noise isn't much worse than with the carpet.
However, it is an incredible pain from what I learned. You have to take out every bolt and wrap them. You also have to mark off everything you don't want sprayed, because you aren't going to have an easy time removing any excess material, because it is very sturdy.
The herculiner is apparently easier, but doesn't give as thick a coat as Rhino or Line-X.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Fair warning... make sure whatever you use does NOT use kitty litter for a traction compound. One of my best Jeep buddies had his YJ sprayed with teal (?!) Rhino Liner and it smelled HORRIBLE whenever the top was up. We found out later that they used a form of cat litter to give it traction. Prepping it for the application wasn't bad... we just took out the bolts that we thought may need removed in the future and replaced them with longer temporary bolts and left them loose. Then we covered everything in aluminum foil incl. the pedal cluster, the shifters, stuffed it into the body drain holes, covered the dash and underdash, and wrapped the heads of all those 'temp' bolts. It looked awesome and helped quiet the body noise as well as made it damn near invinceable but DAMN did it stink!! hahah. I'm not even sure they use kitty litter anymore, but I would ask in advance if it were me.

BTW> the liner was sprayed in over 10 years ago and is still standing unscathed today. They do use floor mats to make it look a bit more comfy and it has sense been spraypainted gray but it's still in perfect condition.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DeezUU
Prepping it for the application wasn't bad... we just took out the bolts that we thought may need removed in the future and replaced them with longer temporary bolts and left them loose.
While not unreasonable, this cannot be done with a new one. If you get in an accident, all parts need to be able to be removed. Thus, you cannot lock the rollbar in with the liner spray, or your vehicle will have to be totaled out if they need to replace any of those parts, as they simply won't be able to fix that.

If you google it, you'll see quite a few differing opinions. I definitely won't be going this route with my new JK right now, but maybe in a few years I will. Here is the best writeup I have seen so far.

Last edited by Dr.McNinja; 03-18-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't see why it would be any different?! We removed the rollbar from the YJ and placed temp bolts in the holes. When done spraying, you just take the foil off the heads of the temp bolts, remove them with a wrench (and it feels like someone coated them with bubblegum!!haha), and replace the rollbar with all the factory bolts.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

i am defeinitely going to have the inside tailgate lined... and am thinking about the inside of the doors where it is just paint and not trim... any suggestions?? the reason being, is that my inside doors and tailgate already have some scratches due to transporting stuff
Old 03-19-2007, 07:11 AM
JK Jedi Master

In my TJ, I just pulled the seats, exposed bolt holes I plugged up, and spray the tub, I didnt tape anything off, and it came out fine..

I could careless about spraying over bolts. They'll come out if you need them to, and its very easy to patch the liner, I used Durbak from 4wd hardware, its like the other spray in liners.

It never smelled bad with the top up, nice finish.

I have to dis agree, It doesnt do anything for noise, it was a big difference in road noise after I pulled the carpet, for that reason I will not be doing this to the JK until its no longer a primary DD.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

The noise depends on the product. The harder liners like Herculiner... it does nothing. But the LineX and Rhino are soft and flexible and seem to have more 'mass' to them and help alot. Carpet and sound deadening is the best for this, but when you have nothing to start with (as his YJ had no carpet), you'll definately notice a difference.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

i got a quote from my local line-x guy he said the more i can take off the jeep the less it will be but his base quote for me was $500 for the whole tub and to spray the door sill guards and that was if i could take everything off and out of the jeep.

he did tell me that if i left the carpet out it would sound about the same as if i had carpet. i would really like to do this so it makes clean up easier. and just throw some small carpeting in for aesthetics.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:52 PM
JK Freak

Instead of using the spray in, what about the roll/paint on type. I helped a friend line the inside of his TJ a couple of years ago and it worked fine.

I think I might attempt to do mine soon. Would make it a lot easier to wash out.

Any opinions on the roll in/paint on type of liners?

Quick Reply: Spray in Liners...