Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Sporadic thermostat

Old 12-30-2022, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now I'm perplexed. Got everything put in, new thermostat, new temperature sensor. Reservoir is full and started it up, been running about 20 minutes and reservoir hasn't moved. Temperature has gotten to 214, fan kicks on, knocks it back to 205. Hose from top of radiator still very bendable as if no fluid in it either
Old 12-30-2022, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's got a bubble, you'll have to trick the air trapped in the back to the front, elevation and vacuum are going to be your buddies,

Put the front on ramps, try to get it 2 foot higher than the rear if you can ( elevation ). Set the heater on max and let it get to temp with the cap OFF. it may overflow a bit. When it's above 206 and the thermostat opens shut it down, top everything off, put the cap on and make sure the reservoir is at least at the high mark on the side. Leave it alone till everything is cool, no heat left at all ( vacuum ) Top it off one more time and it should be good to go.
Old 12-30-2022, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Pinepig
It's got a bubble, you'll have to trick the air trapped in the back to the front, elevation and vacuum are going to be your buddies,

Put the front on ramps, try to get it 2 foot higher than the rear if you can ( elevation ). Set the heater on max and let it get to temp with the cap OFF. it may overflow a bit. When it's above 206 and the thermostat opens shut it down, top everything off, put the cap on and make sure the reservoir is at least at the high mark on the side. Leave it alone till everything is cool, no heat left at all ( vacuum ) Top it off one more time and it should be good to go.
​​​​​​Got it as high as I could. Temp wouldn't go above 203 before it dropped back to 201 so I shut it off. Definitely had flow come out of the radiator. Turned it off and topped the reservoir off again since it had def dropped. Thanks for the advice. I'll check it again in the morning before I head to work. I did notice that the diff between 180 and 203 on the dashboard is non existent. Needle doesn't even move but at least it's not dropping anymore so I'm thinking the sensor and or thermo was definitely the culprit
Old 12-31-2022, 12:57 AM
JK Newbie

Update for this morning, topped it back off to full before I left for work, needle went to straight up around the time it normally would before, never moved. I had jscan running so I could see the temperature while I was running. It got to 203 and then stayed between 194-199 the entire time I was driving to work. When I got to work and was parking I noticed it slowly got up to 214, fan kicked on, worked itself back to 199.
The following users liked this post:
Pinepig (12-31-2022)
Old 01-01-2023, 12:48 AM
JK Newbie

Hopefully last update, hopefully may help someone. Got heat back this morning on the way to work. Was up last night trying to sleep through fireworks and was reading up on people having to replace the actuator for the no heat issue. Someone said that you were supposed to do a recalibration, some said that It periodically calibrates on its own, blinking lights for too long is apparently bad. So I did a calibration with JScan and had heat as soon as it was done. Hopefully it doesn't mean my controls are bad but at least my actuator isn't and I don't have to crawl down there

Quick Reply: Sporadic thermostat