Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spark plugs replaced under warranty

Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs replaced under warranty

I took my 2009 JK Unlimited in to the dealer this week to have them check out the steering clunk. Of course they said they didn't find anything out of the ordinary...go figure.

When I picked it up the service writer told me that they replaced the spark plugs as part of a Rapid Response bulletin (rr 09-058). He said that some vehicles may have had the wrong spark plugs installed from the factory so they replace the spark plugs as the vehicles are brought in for other service. I'm not sure if this just effects 2009 models or others as well. I couldn't find anything about the RR 09-058 bulletin on google.

Nice of them to let me drive 19,000 miles with the wrong spark plugs.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

How many screw ups can a factory do?!!! Come on, there are so many tsb's and recalls.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe this has something to do with that famous sign at a Detroit-area bar: "Finish your beer. There are sober kids in China."
Old 06-10-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Holdem2
How many screw ups can a factory do?!!! Come on, there are so many tsb's and recalls.
You have no idea...work for BMW for a day. You want to see a car that has more problems and more 'known fixes' for things!? Junk!

Anyway, couldn't find anything on google for this bulletin. Must be an internal thing.

Last edited by GoodysGotaCuda; 06-10-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:17 PM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=cbeas;1725940 Nice of them to let me drive 19,000 miles with the wrong spark plugs.[/QUOTE]

It WAS nice of them to do what was right without being asked or told to.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
I agree & I appreciate it. I guess it's a cost thing but when they know something like that they should make an effort to notify owners directly instead of randomly if you happen to bring it in while it's still under warranty. I may be wrong but can't running the wrong spark plugs damage the engine?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
You have no idea...work for BMW for a day. You want to see a car that has more problems and more 'known fixes' for things!? Junk!
Hey, I like my BMW ('06 M Roadster), and haven't had a single issue with it. I've owned 8 BMW's, including some with well over 200k miles on them, and I wouldn't have called any of them "junk".

Don't get me wrong, I love my Jeep, too. They're just very different vehicles with very different abilities. And no one takes an X5 off road...
Old 06-11-2010, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Grant09
And no one takes an X5 off road...
Unfortunately some idiots do.

I saw one bogged up to the frame in soft sand with the tide coming in fast on a beach; they just managed to get it recovered in time too. The guy decided to take his wife & kids wheeling on the beach as "we have a 4x4 now and can go anywhere" so he's run straight into the soft sand, 40psi on his road tires, got immediately stuck & then just sat there for a minute or so with his foot to the floor digging himself into a nice big hole.

What made it worse is there's a big sign at the trail approach (it seems our buddy in the X5 wasn't the first) that says something along the lines of "CAUTION: soft sand and washouts make this area suitable for 4 wheel drive vehicles with high clearance and fitted with tires of an AT rating or higher only. Some SUV vehicles are not suitable for use in this area. Recovery gear must be carried at all times Exercise extreme caution when crossing creeks and washouts"
Old 06-11-2010, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
PastorSteve

1. No it wasn't nice of them, they don't own the vehicle and it's called a lack of respect for the owner, today it sad that a work force that represent Chrysler pulls that
2. they probably didn't even give the owner the old plugs they removed.

3. For Chrysler its a write off, why it's called the cost of doing business
4. the wrong heat range of plugs can and will damage the engine and related components

off my soap box for now

Old 06-12-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Freak

It's called a silent recall.

I took my JK in for a top leak and when I got it back the invoice said they replaced the exhaust manifold. I was like WTF? They said they heard it leaking. There is no way they heard a leak that I didn't hear driving it every day. My guess is they had a silent recall on the manifold for some reason (improper install, faulty part?).

Is there an easy way to check and see if you have the correct plugs? Many 6 speed owners (but not all) complain of a stumble after an upshift and I wonder if it could be an issue with the wrong plugs being installed.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs replaced under warranty