Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

spark plugs

Old 03-29-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default spark plugs

I notice that at red lights sometimes the jeep runs a little ruff. I have 93k+ but the manual says 120k.for the plugs so what is a good plug and can I do it myself or are they prone to breaking like other vehicles?thanks
Old 03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock plugs are fine, you can do it yourself, the wires may break mine did but i fixed them until i could buy a new set. Its simple but not easy sometimes. Tomorrow i will have more time to explain some of the details. Ill pm you and call you if you want.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

pulling the plugs is no problem. replace them with stock plugs. make sure the new plugs have anti seize on them. you are probably going to break your wires to make sure you have new ones available. I broke mine does not have new ones available so I had to fix the ones I broke. spark plug cables do not have wires in them. they use carbon fibers and if pulled out of the socket can be cramped back in and shoved back in the boot.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've broken aftermarket wires in the past, but had good luck with the wires on my JK. Changed my plugs around 88K (miles) I believe. Still running the factory wires now at 113K.

I think the best you can do is make sure you twist the boots free before trying to pull them off, and then pinch them good and tight at the point where the clip bites the plug.

The plugs on the JK aren't bad at all. I'd go so far as saying they're "simple" if you've ever done plugs on a common front wheel drive v6.

Last edited by yo_marc; 04-05-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by yo_marc
I've broken aftermarket wires in the past, but had good luck with the wires on my JK. Changed my plugs around 88K (miles) I believe. Still running the factory wires now at 113K.

I think the best you can do is make sure you twist the boots free before trying to pull them off, and then pinch them good and tight at the point where the clip bites the plug.

The plugs on the JK aren't bad at all. I'd go so far as saying they're "simple" if you've ever done plugs on a common front wheel drive v6.
Bought the bosch 4 which were the same price on amazon and changed them in 20-30 minute on my lunch break... super easy and no more rough idling!! lol
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

if its running rough at idle, maybe try cleaning out the throttle body, mine was horrible at only 50k miles, i cant imagine if its never been cleaned what it would look like at almost 100k

Just did mine last night...
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...moval-Cleaning

before:

after:
Old 04-05-2012, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

you're right. that throttle body did look bad. that gives me a reason to pull mine apart.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Not sure if I'm lucky or not, but this is what my throttle body looked like at 110K miles.

I think it looks dirtier than it really was. It wiped down pretty easily. In my case, I didn't notice any difference after.

Last edited by yo_marc; 04-06-2012 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yo_marc
Not sure if I'm lucky or not, but this is what my throttle body looked like at 110K miles.

I think it looks dirtier than it really was. It wiped down pretty easily. In my case, I didn't notice any difference after.
Is there a gasket between the throttle body and where it mounts? If so, did you replace it?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

There is a gasket.. it's on the intake side of things. If I recall right, it wasn't a typical o-ring, it had a pronounced lip to it. (the picture below is over-exposed so it's hard to make out).

The lip and the condition of the rubber looked good, so I didn't replace it. I have heard that others out here do, possibly with a different part number - Again, if I remember right, it's to help alleviate a rather annoying intake whistle that some members have.

I do have the whistle.. and I should have mentioned that the whistle got a little more noticeable after I cleaned the throttle body and mounting flange.

Quick Reply: spark plugs