Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

spark plugs

Old 01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can lube with vasoline also.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rough idle can be caused by a dirty throttle body (TB) as well. Something else to consider
Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Found this information somewhere else on the internet. This guy claimed he was a service manager at Jeep. Sounds interesting, but I have no personal experience. Just passing this on...

"WE HAVE SEEN THIS ON MANY 3.8 V 6 ENGINES OVER THE YEARS AND WHAT YOU HAVE IS A SIMPLE CASE OF CARBONED BUILD UP ON THE OIL RINGS.
GO TO YOU LOCAL JEEP DEALER AND BUY 2 CANS OF COMBUSTION CHAMBER CONDITIONER. PN 4318001AB.
GET THE ENGINE WARM AND SPRAY IT DOWN THE THROTTLE BODY AND THE LAST FEW OUNCES STALL THE ENGINE OUT WITH IT.
IF YOU CAN, LET THE VEHICLE SIT OVER NIGHT AND WHEN YOU START IT YOU WILL SEE TONS OF SMOKE POURING OUT OF THE TAILPIPE.
TAKE IT FOR A GOOD ROAD TEST AT LEAST 15 MILES.
CHANGE THE OIL TO GET THE CLEANER OUT OF THE CRANKCASE AND KEEP AND EYE ON YOUR OIL CONSUMPTION.
I AM SURE IT WILL HELP, YOU MAY ALSO NOTICE A BETTER IDLE QUALITY AND A LITTLE MORE POWER SINCE THE ENGINE WILL BREATH BETTER WITHOUT THE CARBON DEPOSITS."
Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

You can also buy a product called Seafoam at any auto parts store. It's ~$5/can, probably cheaper than the stealership. However, the smoke you see coming out of the tailpipe is NOT carbon burning out of your engine. It's the kerosene used in the product.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

+1 on Seafoam (also made right here in MN!)
Old 03-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Former Member

Seems to me a lot of people that want to blow their money.
I'm selling plugs at $50 dollars each that'll do wonders and shit cucumbers.
Fuel injected north american built engines that run on regular grade fuel don't need plugs replaced until you notice way more than a rough idle.
My '95 xj straight six has had 1 set of replacement plugs and wires since bought new and has 450000 km on it which works out to 270000 miles and just passed another emissions test better than 2 years ago.
The computerised engine management systems on the newer engines are constantly scanning and adjusting which gives the impression of a carburated engine out of the 70's when you did actually need to change plugs. For all the young whippersnappers out there we even had a dojumma-hicky called a timing light to adjust the mechanically actuated distributor.

But if you want to blow some dough I still have those $50 plugs for sale.

Quick Reply: spark plugs