Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

spark plugs

Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The same thing happened to me with the plug wire, I just rebuilt it and lubed them before I put them back. Now the lesson I learned is the plugs are not worth buying (E3's) but I did find that the factory plugs the gaps were all over the place. So all I can tell you from my experience is to check the plugs and don't replace them just clean them and regap them. I am going to replace my plugs back to the factory plugs but I also am not looking forward to that pain in the ass passenger rear plug !
Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I twisteed and twisted and those things took forever to break free....

Has anyone purchased new wires? Curious because the wires being fed around the back of the intake manifold is a HUGE pain. Anyone just go directly over the top of the intake manifold. If you did it loooks like it would work as the plugs dont touch it at all.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by directedby
36,000 miles - changed to Bosch IR Fusions - runs smoother - slight gain on MPG -
Same here......changed to Bosch IR Fusions with Granatelli Wires - runs smoother - slight gain on MPG

I ran the wires the exact same way the stock wires were run.

Your a FOOL it you think spark plugs will last 102,000 miles. I noticed when I changed out my stock ones that 2 of my plugs had cracked porcelain...no wonder why I was getting a rough idle and bad gas millage..

Last edited by whpony96; 01-19-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gus
I also tried the E3's ... did feel a difference, got a slight gain mpg.

But, had the same problem - cylinder3 fouled. Replaced the plugs with the OEM's I had removed and issue was resolved.

Overall don't think the E3's are as reliable as OEM's ... Just my opinion

Currently running OEM's ...
Hmm, that is rather interesting. I had no gains but also fouled out cylinder three if I remember right . . . coincidence or something else? Back to stock and runs good.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I have 91000 on mine and might do this in the spring. Would it be wise to change the wires also at this time?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I keep meaning to check my gaps because my engine has a slightly rough idle. Try telling that to the stealership though: "Diirrrrrrr (scratches his butt and picks his nose).... I don't feel no rough idle. Diiirrrrr.... I'm a complete retard because I work at Chrysler...."
Old 01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
Same here......changed to Bosch IR Fusions with Granatelli Wires - runs smoother - slight gain on MPG

I ran the wires the exact same way the stock wires were run.

Your a FOOL it you think spark plugs will last 102,000 miles. I noticed when I changed out my stock ones that 2 of my plugs had cracked porcelain...no wonder why I was getting a rough idle and bad gas millage..
not on a jeep but on my wife's acura TSX I changed her iridium plugs at ~105k they looked brand new. I suppose premium fuel since day one, and regular maintenance can do that.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Half the problem is the guy you talk to is just a clerk and knows nothing about vehicles. They need mechanics at the front desk too.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arrogantbastard
I just did a tune up last weekend. Here are my lessons....

I have an 07 with about 69k miles...

....One of the wires was so stuck the metal connector stayed onto the plug as the boot broke free (and yes I did not pull from the wire. I pulled from the boot). Breaking that wire was the biggest pain in my ASS. You CANNOT find spark plug wires ANYWHERE besides at a stealership. Trust me, I called everywhere. Stealership wanted about 75 bucks. I had no choice.

Lesson: everyone pull those wires now and lube them. It will save you so much heartache
What do you lube the plugs with? Thanks!
Old 01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
JK Freak

Dielectric grease. Just put a little in the boot before you plug it on the spark plug. Silicone brake grease for lubing caliper pins works well too.

Quick Reply: spark plugs