Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

spark plugs

Old 01-15-2010, 06:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried the e3's for about 6K miles till cylinder 3 fouled. Really no improvement either, so I switched to NGKs.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:26 PM
Gus
JK Newbie

Default E3 worked for a while ....

I also tried the E3's ... did feel a difference, got a slight gain mpg.

But, had the same problem - cylinder3 fouled. Replaced the plugs with the OEM's I had removed and issue was resolved.

Overall don't think the E3's are as reliable as OEM's ... Just my opinion

Currently running OEM's ...
Old 01-15-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

36,000 miles - changed to Bosch IR Fusions - runs smoother - slight gain on MPG -
Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gus
I also tried the E3's ... did feel a difference, got a slight gain mpg.

... Replaced the plugs with the OEM's I had removed and issue was resolved.

Overall don't think the E3's are as reliable as OEM's ... Just my opinion

Currently running OEM's ...
I also had the E3.66 in mine, changed to them at 5000 and replaced them with stock at 10000. I did not have the fouling, but the screw on ends on the E3 plugs would not stay tight, and cause misfires. I had two codes indicating misfires in two different cylinders. Engine ran so rough it felt so bad I was not sure if I would make it home.

Running perfectly fine on stock plugs again.....
Old 01-16-2010, 05:22 AM
MFX
JK Super Freak

I'm looking to swap out the plugs also just because the rough idling drives me nuts. I've read a few posts that mention the factory installed plug gaps were off on some Jeeps, so I'm hoping a fresh batch of plugs will help.

Anyone have good results with NGK and which type did you go with (V/G/Laser/Iridium)?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Plugs is plugs if you ask me. Stay with the ones that came with your jeep as the engineers usually know best. If your 2009 jeep is running rough you probably should take it right back to the dealership and have them look into it, make them pay for new plugs if thats the problem, its still under warranty. They might even be able to flash the computer to take care of those kind of issues.
As for the quality of my american made jeep. I would put it up against any other vehicle in the same class anytime. This is my 6th new chrysler product and not one has ever let me down.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the e3 all i can say is save your money damm near $50 for 0= mpg 0= hp just get the stock plugs i dont think any plug is going to give up any real gain
Old 01-18-2010, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just did a tune up last weekend. Here are my lessons....

I have an 07 with about 69k miles...

I purchased the double platnums from autozone for about 4/plug. I started taking the wires off and quickly realized the wires were damn near welded onto the plugs. At 69k miles, the plugs were actually in great shape showing NO WEAR. I replaced them anyways since the plugs were already purchased.

One of the wires was so stuck the metal connector stayed onto the plug as the boot broke free (and yes I did not pull from the wire. I pulled from the boot). Breaking that wire was the biggest pain in my ASS. You CANNOT find spark plug wires ANYWHERE besides at a stealership. Trust me, I called everywhere. Stealership wanted about 75 bucks. I had no choice.

Lesson: everyone pull those wires now and lube them. It will save you so much heartache
Old 01-19-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good reminder!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Arrogantbastard
I just did a tune up last weekend. Here are my lessons....

I have an 07 with about 69k miles...

I purchased the double platnums from autozone for about 4/plug. I started taking the wires off and quickly realized the wires were damn near welded onto the plugs. At 69k miles, the plugs were actually in great shape showing NO WEAR. I replaced them anyways since the plugs were already purchased.

One of the wires was so stuck the metal connector stayed onto the plug as the boot broke free (and yes I did not pull from the wire. I pulled from the boot). Breaking that wire was the biggest pain in my ASS. You CANNOT find spark plug wires ANYWHERE besides at a stealership. Trust me, I called everywhere. Stealership wanted about 75 bucks. I had no choice.

Lesson: everyone pull those wires now and lube them. It will save you so much heartache
did you twist them free before pulling

Quick Reply: spark plugs