Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

spark knock is driving me crazy

Old 08-14-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, so i just went out for a while to run some errands, and the pinging was virtually gone .tank was near empty, drove 170 miles yesterday with some fuel system cleaner and octane boost and sunoco 87..just filled up with 89 octane sunoco and a bottle of techron system cleaner, and have another bottle for the next fill up..no pinging, only once did i hear it on a grade but from takeoff, it sounded like a champ..hoping i cleared out most of the gunk, and i may just continue to run 89 if i dont hear ping..may be a bit more expensive, but if my jeep sounds and drives healthier, im all for that.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Well I'm noticing my pinging is coming back too. I will try some fuel system cleaner and if that doesn't help off to the dealer for an oil consumption test....
Old 08-15-2011, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

As long as you continue to run the 89 or octane booster, you should experience less knock. The higher octane gas works as a band-aid to the problem because it's more resistant to combustion, canceling out the increased pressure from the carbon being in the cylinders. I'm honestly skeptical about how much carbon the fuel system cleaners actually remove. I didn't have any luck with them, nor did I have much luck attempting to blow the carbon out by running it harder, but I may have had a more serious oil consumption problem than you.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

ive burned maybe half a quart in 1700 miles of driving
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine started doing it around 8-10k as well..after they did the big j30 flash i think it was..the performance flash. they have reflashed it before and that didnt stop the pinging. 89 is kind of masking it, but i don't consume a lot of oil, i dont baby the engine, and have been rougher on it since the pinging started. some switched to 89 RIGHT after hearing ping and didnt hear it ever again from what ive read. my dealer told me it is the gas, and ive heard that a few times from them now times now. i dont mind paying more money if its not pinging anymore. and after driving a lot today, the jeep runs smoother, sounds better, and has some more power. the tank has 89 sunoco and techron in it. i tried up hills, on ramps, everything..not one hint of spark knock. if my dealer wont do anything about it, better gas is pretty much my only option
Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

last year i ran some cleaner and did a lot of highway driving, and the ping went away until mid way through the winter...came back on and off this summer. its just strange SO many people have these issues, yet chrysler can't pin point a cause and gives excuses. people that report the problem also have different driving habits, so i keep thinking why?

Last edited by saharastyle1354; 08-15-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by CAM24
As long as you continue to run the 89 or octane booster, you should experience less knock. The higher octane gas works as a band-aid to the problem because it's more resistant to combustion, canceling out the increased pressure from the carbon being in the cylinders. I'm honestly skeptical about how much carbon the fuel system cleaners actually remove. I didn't have any luck with them, nor did I have much luck attempting to blow the carbon out by running it harder, but I may have had a more serious oil consumption problem than you.
I have never checked for oil consumption problems. I will try to run fuel cleaner and blow it out. It makes a lot of short trips so carbon buildup is very probable...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try techron on an empty tank..run 89 or higher and techron on a couple tanks..may see a difference
Old 08-16-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

ill probably switch back to 87 after another tank of 89 and techron..no pinging at all again today, maybe because of the 89 but hopefully because of my repeated attempts at running cleaners..since running techron i also noticed my polished banks tip, which i keep clean, has a bit of soot on it..hopefully carbon being eliminated? can only hope!

after 8,000 miles or a little more maybe of spark knock (under load, hills, 2-3 rpms mostly, like the dealer says is "normal") do you guys think i should still have the engine checked even if techron clears it out? i dont know much about detonations effects and how quickly they can cause actual damage..ive seen a lot of guys that have put many more miles on their jks without the dealer doing ANYTHING about the ping, but i just want to get the JK forums expertise on this one. got about 22,500 on the clock and it started somewhere between 12-15k, and sometimes dissipated after running cleaners, never really sounded worse until lately. whatcha think?

Last edited by saharastyle1354; 08-16-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Quick Reply: spark knock is driving me crazy