Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spare parts for road trip?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare parts for road trip?

I hope to be taking a 2 week trip to Montana this summer. 99% of the mileage (4000 approx) will be on highways, rest will be on forest service, gravel roads, etc. No hard core off-roading. My JKU is stock.

I've converted the transfer case linkage with the Advance Adapters upgrade, so no need to take any replacements for the plastic heim joints on each end of the stock setup. I've bought a replacement serpentine belt, and have the usual tire repair options ( plug kit, spare in a can). Will also have a bag of tools, but I'm no mechanic.

Any suggestions for other spare parts that I've missed? Any/all thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of those questions that really cannot be answered correctly. To cover all the mechanical, electrical and fuel related failures that MAY occur, you'd need a small trailer to haul extra parts. Just go with the simple items that normally are needed: Spare tire in good shape, maybe 'Fix A Flat', tire tools and a jack that works, some spare oil and trans fluid (the trans fluid is used for the power steering too), jumper cables or a jumpstart/compressor combination unit, and maybe a "Haynes" manual to assist you. Other than that, there is no real answer for all you may need. For a trip that long, I'd make sure my battery was fairly fresh and belts and hoses in good shape. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default Spare Parts?

Thanks, I really couldn't think of much else to take, but wanted to post the question in case I was missing the obvious. I have all you described ( picked up a Haynes manual yesterday with the belt) except the tranny fluid which I'll definitely add, will also ensure I have all the spare fuses that may be needed. If I go I'll definitely post a short description and pictures.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

I just completed a similar trip 2 days ago. I took food, drinks, blankets, spare tire and a few tools. Spare sunglasses and a few rolls of toilet paper (a must). These last two turned out to be the most important. Most of all I took a phone that I made sure stayed charged and a lot of money. As I said I only used two of the mentioned items. I think we all worry too much when planning a trip when most should plan better when staying in their own neighborhood.
Old 06-20-2014, 12:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Heeper
... Any suggestions for other spare parts that I've missed? Any/all thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks
Knowledge and experience weigh nothing and take up no space. This is why I recommend that folks do their own maintenance on their Jeeps. Sometimes it's not so much that you can fix something, but rather that you can do something that will let you limp out to the service/parts that you need.

BTW: When you swap out that serpentine belt, keep the old one as your trail spare. Don't keep running until the one installed fails--it might be during a pouring rain when you'd rather not be working under the hood. Same thing for wiper blades, BTW: Keep one or two old ones as spares, just in case one falls apart and you're scratching up the windshield trying to drive through that downpour.

Quick Reply: Spare parts for road trip?