Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spare Key Cost?

Old 02-28-2015, 12:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger44

A new Jeep never hurts. That's as good of an excuse as any!
Only the price difference hurts. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll get a new Jeep for as little as it would cost for a new key .

I have a second key somewhere safe (probably my wife's purse). I recently changed the batteries in both but have wondered about the expense of replacing the key. Granted, mine has remote start so it may cost more but this thread is one I'll continue to watch.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by CombatDiver
Only the price difference hurts. I may be wrong but I don't think you'll get a new Jeep for as little as it would cost for a new key .

I have a second key somewhere safe (probably my wife's purse). I recently changed the batteries in both but have wondered about the expense of replacing the key. Granted, mine has remote start so it may cost more but this thread is one I'll continue to watch.
I think that website I linked earlier in the thread has the remote start key. I'd consider getting one now, if I were you, to avoid dealer cost and get it on the cheap. I wish I'd done that when I still had both my keys. I'm good now, but can't use the anti-theft alarm with the new key. I just can't stomach 300 bucks to the stealership for the new one.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Just fyi for those in future- I just had a locksmith do it. Home Depot only goes up to 2006, ace didn't do it around me.

A company called pop a lock did it for me- total was 70$ for two keys programmed and they came to me! Not bad!
Old 03-03-2015, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by captainstabbin
Bought replacement key from Amazon for $27 and had True Value cut key for $5.00. Had both keys but one was so worn out it needed to be replaced. Took 2 minutes to program and Walla have 3 working keys.
I've seen your videos Captain. Nice!

Quick Reply: Spare Key Cost?