Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Spare Key Cost?

Old 02-24-2015, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Ok, I went to Ace Hardware tonight and they are a Certified Chip Key Center. They claimed they have the chip key, can cut it, and program it, all right there at the store, and that they do NOT need the 2nd key. They guarantee it to work "...before you leave the parking lot." They showed me a device they claim is a programmer, and read me their instructions for the Chrysler key. It only referred to needing one key.

I didn't have my Jeep tonight, or I'd have done it right there. I'll be taking it over this weekend to get it done. If it works, I'll buy a 3rd chip key, and I'll be way ahead of the stealership, financially. The dealership quoted me $275, by the way. That's downright immoral.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get this done? Did it work and how much did they charge you?

Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

For what it's worth, my local Ace Hardware only programs keys bought from them, and without the keyless entry fob, just ignition key, is $80. Don't know if that is a company-wide price or just what my local store charges. A quick 2 minute phone call solved that problem for me. What issue I am running into is that I have remote engine start, and very few places carry that key/fob. I guess Ace can get me a second key, and I can program a new remote start fob with that one on my own when I find one online fairly cheap.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought replacement key from Amazon for $27 and had True Value cut key for $5.00. Had both keys but one was so worn out it needed to be replaced. Took 2 minutes to program and Walla have 3 working keys.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ranger44
For what it's worth, my local Ace Hardware only programs keys bought from them, and without the keyless entry fob, just ignition key, is $80. Don't know if that is a company-wide price or just what my local store charges. A quick 2 minute phone call solved that problem for me. What issue I am running into is that I have remote engine start, and very few places carry that key/fob. I guess Ace can get me a second key, and I can program a new remote start fob with that one on my own when I find one online fairly cheap.
Dang my ace doesn't do it.

Got a quote from rando locksmith for 160$ for two keys ouch.

My primary and only key is bent though, causing it to get stuck in ignition etc. need new jeep super soon haha
Old 02-27-2015, 03:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ranger44
I went ahead and bought the $80 Ace key tonight, and it was the same deal--no keyless fob. It works, though.

Let us know if you use it to try and program another with the fob. If that works, I'm in.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Home depot sold me a programmed key with the chip for 69.99 about a year ago. They programmed it right on the spot. Worked great.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by DaJigIsUp
Home depot sold me a programmed key with the chip for 69.99 about a year ago. They programmed it right on the spot. Worked great.
Hmm maybe I went to lowes- I'll need to try Home Depot out. I know thy do some brands(GM) but not all
Old 02-27-2015, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dmwil

I went ahead and bought the $80 Ace key tonight, and it was the same deal--no keyless fob. It works, though.

Let us know if you use it to try and program another with the fob. If that works, I'm in.
Probably going to do it in the next few days. Gonna call around to Lowes, HD and Menards to see if they compare, or even if the program at all. I am sure none of them sell the fob key, but maybe I will get lucky. I also called two local locksmiths who wanted between $125-$160 for a new fob key without remote start programmed. I will post whatever ends up happening. Still cheaper than the $285 the stealership wanted, but ouch! I almost want to put my keys in the gun safe at these prices!
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cormac827

Dang my ace doesn't do it.

Got a quote from rando locksmith for 160$ for two keys ouch.

My primary and only key is bent though, causing it to get stuck in ignition etc. need new jeep super soon haha
A new Jeep never hurts. That's as good of an excuse as any!

Quick Reply: Spare Key Cost?