Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

sounds like a spark knock

Old 06-22-2012, 01:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sounds like a spark knock

Does anyone have an idea what this would be or how to get rid of it.......when I put my foot in to it from a stop just before it shifts about 4800 to 5000 rpm's it sounds like I have a very bad spark knock? It's not the gas cause I've ran about 4 tanks through it and it still does it. Could it be my spark plugs? And/or wires?
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 AM
JK Junkie

Have you tried using higher octane fuel? See if that helps. Aside from changing your spark plugs, other causes for knocking is excessive carbon build up on the valves. A fuel injection cleaner may be able to remove it or you can always use Seafoam.....
Old 06-22-2012, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Does your motor use oil?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aldaman
Have you tried using higher octane fuel? See if that helps. Aside from changing your spark plugs, other causes for knocking is excessive carbon build up on the valves. A fuel injection cleaner may be able to remove it or you can always use Seafoam.....
this...

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
Does your motor use oil?
and this...

Get in the habit of Checking your oil...preferably weekly to start just to see if you have an oil consumer.

What motor do you have? The 3.8's are known to have spark knock from various things...oil consumption, carbon build up, crappy or incorrect plugs. Is everything all original? Plugs, intake, exhaust, tune, ect..?
Seafoam and some 93 octane are a great way to help diagnose your issues of whether or not what you are hearing is spark knock.
Auto or manual btw?...

Edit: NM,I see you said when it shifts..probably auto.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

It's the 3.8 all original except for exhaust automatic transmissionit uses about half a quart in 3000 miles I run valvoline high mileage synthetic in it but I'll definitely try the seafoam in high octane I'll definitely get back with you thanks for the help I do not like it sounds like crap
Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Try running 89 octane and a can of seafoam in the tank, and pick up a can of mopar combustion chamber cleaner and run it through the throttle body and allow it to sit. This will rule out carbon deposits which may be the case. It helped with my pinging...

Quick Reply: sounds like a spark knock