Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Solution for faded platic fender flares and bumpers

Old 12-22-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by j33p4life
aftermarket fenders is always the best solution!
Ya only $700.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Red Wings
If his are truly that faded you should let him try the refinish/restorer and take pictures. Honestly I think it is the best product ever made for faded plastic.
I get down to the Barnegat Jetty and a few other locations a few times through the summer and could easily hook up with him to try it out...
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I re-painted my flares on my TJ with Semi Gloss Fusion. They looked brand new. Simple perminate solution.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah the Krylon Fusion satin Black spray paint looks good and lasts. It it gets scratched up or scraped it is an easy fix too.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

My jk is 5 weeks old so no issues yet , but I did do the fusion on my pickup & 3 years later it's finally fading .... It is a option.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Newbie

I saw this on YouTube a few months ago. Everyone I've read says it works and stays that way for a year or so before it needs to be done again. Looks like an effective, quick solution, as you can easily get into all the nooks and crannies with the flame. I'd probably do this over the spray paint, as you risk not getting it even, bubbling, peeling, or overspray onto something else.

Mine are painted, so I use a good coat of McGuires every month...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWyecrQh_HQ
Old 12-23-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by cv2065
I saw this on YouTube a few months ago. Everyone I've read says it works and stays that way for a year or so before it needs to be done again. Looks like an effective, quick solution, as you can easily get into all the nooks and crannies with the flame. I'd probably do this over the spray paint, as you risk not getting it even, bubbling, peeling, or overspray onto something else.

Mine are painted, so I use a good coat of McGuires every month...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWyecrQh_HQ
I've seen a few vids with heat treatment but mine are in good shape and don't need anything that aggressive. That said, I think I would opt for a heat gun before a propane torch and I certainly would be far away from the kids toys and the wood floor....

Old 12-23-2011, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I applied a product called Forever Black on the fender flares of my LJ almost a year ago, and they are still a deep, matte black, even after rain, snow, and dozens of car washes. It was incredibly easy to apply, somewhat like black liquid shoe polish.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried the torch on my 07 fenders and it did not work. In fact it left a blemish area. I tried small amounts of heat, but it did not change the color. I am now looking for an alternate method. I am also looking for a way to bring back the shine on my front & rear powder coated bumpers.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default it works

find a Club Car golf car dealer and buy their product called Re-Black. Works like a dam and lasts.

Quick Reply: Solution for faded platic fender flares and bumpers