Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Software upgrade = More power?

Old 11-11-2010, 03:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyRedJK
I found this thread searching for "code 181906H5" which was listed on the invoice I got today when I went in for an oil change. I asked the svc dept lady what this update did, and she mumbled something about the O2 senser. After reading this thread, I can confirm that my update is also 10-066.

I didn't get too excited, till I was on the way home. Everything seemed normal, except when I got on the highway and shifted from 5th to 6th, the jeep seemed to "shudder" a bit. I thought I had hit a rough spot in the road and thought nothing about it. Stopped at a light, wound it up, same thing going from 5th to 6th. I slowed down, gave it gas, slowed down, gave it gas, nothing. But...I then shifted back to 5th, wound it back up a bit, and shifted to 6th, and the shudder was there again. I did this, shifted down, drove, and back up, 2 or 3 times to confirm what it was doing.

Don't know what all this update addressed, but if this keeps on I'll be on my way back to the dealer Saturday.
Well, that sucks. Like someone above mentioned that its possible that not every vehicle will like the new upgrade. Unfortunately it sounds like yours didnt like the new "upgrade" bummer dude
Old 11-11-2010, 04:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcc454
It does not really feel much faster, just an improvent with throttle response; I don't have that "lag" when I hit the pedal anymore, which I am not minding.

And I do not have the shudder the poster above mentions between fifth and sixth.
I have no shudder. Just smooth and responsive.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just brought my 2010 in for an axle seal which blew at 6k.....thats neither here nor there. The latest RRT (chrysler's acronym for TSB) deals with the O2 sensor. My guy said it gets reprogramed, or the computer does reference the O2 sensor, and it speeds up the curve relative to operating temp and air fuel ratio. I just drive em...took me 5 minutes to log in to post. computers and I dont mix.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

If it's not broken. Don't try to fix it
Old 11-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Uwe
JK Newbie

Default Reference docu ?

Hi, could you not ask your dealer for a Chrysler/Jeep reference documentation? Like some kind of recomedation from the manufacturer... If i ask here (in Switzerland) if there is such a thing available the standard answer usually is "there is nothing to upgrade"...

Then again as with all software controlled machines there is always something to make better, especially with consumer products.

Originally Posted by Wangler
I had the dealer put my snow tires on this weekend. They also said there was a software upgrade available for my JK.

Ever since the upgrade I have noticed my Jeep has a lot more pull, especially at low RPMs. It feels like I got another 10 or 15 HP.

Anyone else notice this after the upgrade?

They could not tell me anything about the upgrade, like what it was supposed to fix, or what version.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have an appointment set for next Wednesday to have this done. It is definitely NEW since my Jeep was only built 3-1/2 months ago and it needs to be done. It is also definitely for throttle response.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am at the dealer now getting the trans recall. I will see if they do this. I asked and they said software updates are 80.00, and I referenced this thread so we will see what happens.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Had the softwre update done day before yesterday. It is not the same as the "Hot Oil" update which was done well over a month ago. I was told there a few parts to the update like the o2 sensors not heating up quick enough and a couple of other things. I have noticed a mileage increase and is running different (Better) than before. The service Tech knew nothing about it and he asked me how I knew.... I said the JK-FORUM!

Last edited by nakednuns; 11-12-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

The guy at my dealer still has no clue. I have emailed him twice, given him all the numbers that have been given here and gave him this link, and still can't find anything on it.....
Old 11-12-2010, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spleify
The guy at my dealer still has no clue. I have emailed him twice, given him all the numbers that have been given here and gave him this link, and still can't find anything on it.....
Just tell him to flash the software in your engine to the very latest version?

If he says you have the very latest version, then what else can he do?

Quick Reply: Software upgrade = More power?