Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Softtop switch to gardtop

Old 06-10-2011, 12:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softtop switch to gardtop

This may b a dumb question but here goes. If my jk 4door only came with a soft top do I need to purchase any hardware to b able to put a hardtop on?? Just bought a freedom 3piece hardtop and I wanted to try it on this weekend. If anyone can help please send me a few answers. ??
Old 06-10-2011, 12:27 AM
JK Junkie

well you will need the bolts to keep it in place and the wiring harness to be able to use the rear windshield wiper but if that isnt a concern of yours then all you need is the bolts to attach it to the tub.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
well you will need the bolts to keep it in place and the wiring harness to be able to use the rear windshield wiper but if that isnt a concern of yours then all you need is the bolts to attach it to the tub.
this man has the answers. you ditch the plastic door frames and bolt in about 6-10 give or take, torx screws.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I am ordering the wire harness and control knobs tomorrow. All the bolts r here. I just dnt know if I need any windshield attachments?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BIGag
Well I am ordering the wire harness and control knobs tomorrow. All the bolts r here. I just dnt know if I need any windshield attachments?
Well this being my first Jeep and having never been inside one that is a soft top all I can say is that my '11 Rubi doesn't have any bolts that go to the windshield area. The 2 front pieces of the top have latches that connect to the windshield but there are 2 bolts that go up through the soundbar section. Hope this helps...JK Newbie trying to give advice like he knows over here hahaha
Old 06-10-2011, 02:20 PM
JK Newbie

I took my hard top off the first day I brought my jeep home. It came with the soft top and there's no windshield hardware needed. I know some after-market soft tops require a different rail but you should be good to go with the standard hardware
Old 06-12-2011, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thane out there to all that helped I got the hardtop home Saturday. Wasn't hard at all 6bolts to the back 2 bolts to the front. Easy install/easy off. Now has anyone out there purchased the sound foam that's supposed to help keep in heat/cold. Thinking about gettin those and the xtra seals for wind noise. Wondering if they're worth it?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:57 AM
JK Freak

2 door = 6 bolts back
4 door -6 back and 2 on top.

take off the plastic door surrounds for the soft top and the rear holders for the back window bar thing, that are on the back near the top of the rear door, then you should be good to go hard top
Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
That harness also powers the rear window defroster. And, I'm not certain it will work--a trip to the dealer to have them program it to recognize that new hardware may be necessary. OP might check into that if spending money at the dealer is not something he wants to do right now.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

To give you a heads up on the wiring harness, it's not as easy and simple as the TJ. The defrost is actually part of the climate control panel and the rear wiper is on the front wiper steering column handle so your wiring harness will contain a new climate control panel and a new handle to install on your steering column. For the sake of the warranty, I had my dealership install it. It took them almost two days!! Luckily, they quoted me like 3 hours of labor so that's what they charged me but from what they were telling me, it was real PITA. But once it was installed and put on, I haven't looked back. Those Freedom Panels rock! I got a closed bungee that I have wrapped around the two rear headrests and simply strap them in the back with a towel between them. It retains your cargo space and you still have plenty of viewing area from the rearview mirror. I would also recommend these:
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13122_05.htm
They replace the 6 Torx bolts in the back so you can remove them with your fingers...makes removal a piece of cake...

Quick Reply: Softtop switch to gardtop