Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Softtop leaks

Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Softtop leaks

I just started using my factory softtop on my 2008 rubicon. Even with the top fastened down properly im finding small water leaks behind drivers and passenger side roof edge areas and in rear window area. Is this normal? Im considering removing all the carpets to avoid water and rust issues. Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Seems to be pretty regular in most of the wranglers. I have a 2011 with a soft top and it leaks every time it rains. Its in the dealer now for the second time trying to figure out what is going on. Im thinking i would have been better off to fix it myself...
Old 08-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Jul
JK Newbie

Default A dealer here would tell me, "um. . . yeah. . . you bought a Jeep!"

I would be grateful the seepage is minimal. It's a jeep.
Try leaving the top down during a night of heavy rain. . . deal with it the next day. . . and your worries will be nominal the next time you get a little seepage. Sort-of like desensitizing yourself, right?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey man I have a 2011 and I'm in new jersey. We just had lots of rain and yesterday was the 1st time I have notice a little water drip on me while I was driving. I just got it in may and it has rained a bunch of times but the last 2 days was a lot of rain. But if it starts to happen more often I'll def notify the dealer.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
JK Freak

Had mine in a bunch finally sold it and only run a hard top now if it rain I pull the plugs put a jacket on and keep going
Old 08-15-2011, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeep NB here had mine for about a month with the hard top, I purchased it with the dual top group, removed the hard top and put up the soft top had a leak on the A pillar passenger side last night. Just got done putting hard top on blasted with a hose for 20 minutes and no leaks
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Run a little $3 weather stripping for house windows and doors along the top of the door jam, snug below where the soft top tucks under the door frame. Take a hose and give it a test. If that doesn't work it may be coming in the joint where the removable door frames meet up with the front header channel. I've read about taking the door trim off and putting gasket silicone between this gap. For me the door trim worked well enough. Minor drip if water spats hard from the sides.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine leaks more in the rain with the top down ... so a little leak with the top up is ok.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

I think all convertibles leak to some extent, not just Jeeps. Maybe some of the others manage the leak better so it isn't visible to the operator.

I am amazed at all the little bits of foam that are stuck here and there on the soft top header in a non-symmetric way like it was done at the leak test station instead of as part of the design.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this write up out from another forum member. Great write up and fixed all my problems.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=softop%20fix

Quick Reply: Softtop leaks