Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

softop seam above soundbar leak??

Old 10-13-2009, 09:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default softop seam above soundbar leak??

ok b4 anyone brings this up.....i've searched and just found leaks around the door seals and LOTS of them....now MY problem is when it sits in rain, water is somehow coming through the seam right above where the soundbar is ...when i start moving water pours on the passenger and I from water sitting on the roll bar padding above the soundbar speakers...and it's a definate puddle sitting on the padding b/c i can see it like a freaking waterfall coming down on me. is there a specific sealant i can buy to apply to the seam? should i seal it from the inside or outside of the top? and has anyone else had this issue in that specific spot? i haven't had a bit of leaking issues until now, so i'd like to get some advice on what i can do and to hear some similar stories w/ feedback on what helped you.
thanks in advance,
Ben
Old 10-14-2009, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had this problem with my soft top, but I suggest (and this is just an idea) trying tent seam sealer. Its sold at places like EMS and Campmor. I have used it and it stays flexible but it does change the fabric color. If it was mine I would try it on the inside first, it does soak in pretty well before it dries. Good luck and again this is just a suggestion I have not tried it on a jeep roof.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Thanks. Ill see if I can get my hands on some. I just don't understand why this all of a sudden started happening. Pretty frustrating
Old 10-14-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Freak

bump....anyone got anymore advice? my jeep has been in to stealership already for the wind noise and did not help..that was mnths ago though. i wonder if the dealership would switch for a hardtop if its brought in enough times for issues w/ the softop
Old 10-15-2009, 05:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

My dealer is replacing the softtop because the stitches are coming out over the passenger door. I don't have any leaks. I hope when they reinstall the new one I still have no leaks.

Are you still under the three year thirty six? They will give you a new one
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Yeah I am. Ill bring it in and see what they say.. Hopefully will get this fixed under warranty
Old 10-15-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

the best thing you can do is take it in if its under warranty. i dont have any problems yet...and i hope not too either. been pampering it with Raggtop protectant every few weeks. you can definately tell a difference using that stuff as the water just beads up like a fresh coat of carnuba wax on a car.

i am curious as to the other reply...threads coming undone from the passenger side. i have been watching all my threading. this will be my first winter with the soft top. not worried, but i am keeping a vigiliant eye on the threads, potential leaks, etc.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

happened to my two door 08....aout month and a half or so ago....told dealer i had a leak they kept it all day and when i called at 430 to see what they found they said to my suprise they called the home office and i was getting a new top. mine was a small leak over the passenger seat on the roll bar as well.......

new top does not have the option to remove the hard plastic pieces from the rear sail panels and im gonna see what they can do about it cause the sail corners that tuck under the rear tub at sticking way out now. almost 2/3 of that entire strip are, and i still have a leak over the passenger door handle....funny thing the parts manager and repair manager were trying to figure out how to get the plastic pieces removed the factory manual and install notes say to remove them for a better fit if its too tight and they are on their third or forth revesion on that top.....

the new top also left a huge gap around my original rear window so they also had to order a new set of windows as well as a rear gate bar because it stretched the new rear window so bad....im down too 500 mi left under warrenty...... so becareful and test it before taking it of for the winter.... oh and now the passenger door window seem almost takes a hammer to get it in so you can close the door.....
Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

i had a similar problem only mine was one seam towards the rear, over the passenger seats. after a rain, i would literally have puddles on my rear cargo mat. 2 trips to the dealer and the "trim guy" was unable to fix the leak with their so called superior sealant. i went to walmart and bought a 3 dollar bottle of Coleman tent sealer. i did use it on the outside and it drys clear, but you can tell its on. no leaks since, not one drop.

Quick Reply: softop seam above soundbar leak??