Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Zipper

Old 05-20-2011, 03:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put split rings (key chain rings) on the all my window zipper pulls so I could hook my finger in there. It makes it easier to guide the zipper and increases the torque I can put on the zipper to get around the top corners that are always the toughest spots for me.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Orangeav
I put split rings (key chain rings) on the all my window zipper pulls so I could hook my finger in there. It makes it easier to guide the zipper and increases the torque I can put on the zipper to get around the top corners that are always the toughest spots for me.
That's a great idea! I'm stealing it. LOL
Old 05-20-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jobber Jim
I took a votive candle (parafin base) and warmed it up in a cup of water in the microwave. Then I rubbed the candle along the entire zipper length on both the rear and side windows. I also leave the left sail detached from the vehicle when starting the rear window zipper. The zipper pull glides along smoothly with no snagging. My JK is only 2 months old.
I was just going to say "try wax". When I was in the military, we would often use candle wax to lubricate the zippers on the tent windows. Worked like a charm. I plam on doing that if I have any problems once I put on the soft top.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejk09
... very hard to get lined up when initially putting the rear window in ....
I have found that the insertion pin (on the window) likes to go in too far when I first line up the pin into the slider. So I am careful only to push it in just far enough to get a good initial alignment. Takes practice.

If you do lube, use a dry lube or else road dust will gum it up.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Newbie

I always used a pair of needle nosed pliers... I am definitely switching to the keyring idea!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Everything has to be put together just the right way for the zippers to come to the end of the track. I found good ol' WD-40 helped out the zippers a lot. Forget rolling the window up, it blocks your rear-view and scratches the hell out of the plastic. Fold it down into the trunk instead.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had pretty good luck with spray silicon lube on my old soft top, until pull split in half and I had to replace them from jeepit.com.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. I'll try wax and really focus on getting the zipper lined up.
Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

This was asked about year or so ago, and the suggestion (in addition to all these) is to use divers wax. Go to a diver place and get some, about $4. Mine is called Aquaseal. It works great. I applied it before I put the windows back in after sittin' in the garage for the winter, and zipped right up. I also apply it about once a month depending on conditions. Don't keep it in the jeep, it will melt. It will make it easier and will stay on for a while, even if it rains.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by htweelz

That's a great idea! I'm stealing it. LOL
It's your! Lol! Try to find some that are large and stainless if possible to avoid rusting!

Quick Reply: Soft Top Zipper