Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Zipper

Old 05-19-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Zipper

I bought a complete oem soft top used. It works great except the rear window zipper is very hard to get lined up when initially putting the rear window in (it will zip in a cm or so and then get stuck/not be lined up) and when taking the window out/unzipping the window, when at the very end of the track (it gets stuck/not lined up). Is this normal? Should the rear window zip in/out easily? I know that it probably isn't effortless but it I don't think that it should take 10-15 min to do only the rear window. I'm not sure if the zipper is bent or what but it's frustrating.
Has anyone taken their soft top to some kind of shop - dealer, soft top repair shop, zipper shop haha, etc if it' something that can even be repaired?
Any suggestions? Maybe a zipper cleaner?
Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM
JK Newbie

Mine has always been difficult so I stopped taking it out. I just roll it up, put it in the bungie things ( I have no idea what they are called) and put the top down. Never had any problems after I started doing this.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mopar do a zipper lubricant which can help.
I also have a "routine"
leave the back vertical struts on the soft top unclipped
I put the rear window in first
Start the side windows
Hook the back of the soft top down
Finish zipping the side windows
I rarely if ever use the tailgate bar for the back window.
If you use the bar, put that on the rear window first.
I also have an older 2007 softtop design.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure how much this would help but trying pulling down on the rear bow the same way you would to get slack to undo the rear sails. That slack may help with your zipper issue.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:18 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the same problem with my daughter's 2010.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:28 AM
JK Newbie

I have the same issue with mine, a 2009. Tried lubricant but didn't really help. Took two of us 15 minutes to get the back window out last time.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I use a bungee for ease

Putting the side and rear windows in was harder some days than others, especially when she was new. I found that if I used a bungee cord once I got the zipper started, it was completely easy, this added a lot of torque and give to the pull and kept my fingers out of the tucked away zipper line. Just a tip. But make sure to use plastic hooked bungees and not metal so as not to puncture the top
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is hard also but the more you do it the better you get at it. I pull the bottom corner of the top off of the body and that way you can line up the zipper easier. Once I get it started I put the corner back in. I used to have a second person help me but now I can do it myself in about a min or two. Just keep practicing and it'll come to you.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Takes a bit of practice at first, i thought mine was defective, but now i can take it off, reinstall in under a minute....I put the rear window in first, after putiting the tailgate bar in place
Old 05-20-2011, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a votive candle (parafin base) and warmed it up in a cup of water in the microwave. Then I rubbed the candle along the entire zipper length on both the rear and side windows. I also leave the left sail detached from the vehicle when starting the rear window zipper. The zipper pull glides along smoothly with no snagging. My JK is only 2 months old.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Zipper