Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top in Winter

Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top in Winter

Does anybody run their soft top during winter. And by winter i mean in the negative degrees (F) and snow? planning a trip this winter up to Montana and only have a soft top. Just wondering how it will hold up... Thanks for any input
Old 06-10-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soopurman0
Does anybody run their soft top during winter. And by winter i mean in the negative degrees (F) and snow? planning a trip this winter up to Montana and only have a soft top. Just wondering how it will hold up... Thanks for any input

I do !! I love it and never had any problem....I am in MI and go even farther north for Jeep events!! We get lots of snow and very cold ( even negatives) and its fine...the heater rocks...once I even cooked hot dogs on the dash board while sledding....
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Soopurman0
You'll be just fine. I have only a soft top and our winter lasts 7 months. Constantly below zero and lots and lots of snow as in 200-300 inches on average
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

It was below zero when I test drove and bought mine. The soft top is all I have.

No issues, except that you cannot run the heater at full bore, it will cook you.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run mine year round. Check out my avatar pic. No problems.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

Thanks all for the responses.. I figured if its made by JEEP.. its good to go!!
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
JK Newbie

I live in Calgary, Alberta and a soft top is all I have. It was just fine all last winter. The only pain is that you have to wash your Jeep really often or get used to not seeing out the rear window because there is no rear wiper like the hardtops have.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I run a soft top year around also, no problem with that heater. I have read though, just be careful moving the back window because the clear plastic becomes brittle.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where I live, it stays below freezing, with 4-14 inches of snow a day, for most of the winter. Soft top only. No problems!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We get some bad winters here in NY and I haven't had any problems with my TJ or JK soft top. It's garaged at night though, so that helps keep most of the accumulation off.

Quick Reply: Soft top in Winter