Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top windows flapping in the wind?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine do the exact same thing.. .. Since it got it.. Even the dealer has tried to put them on.. they stated the same thing.. Operator error.. NOT.... I guess I just have to deal with it..
Old 06-15-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Junkie

if they are installed correctly... there is nothing that could pull them out, short of a nuclear blast
Old 06-15-2007, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by 1BADJK
Mine do the exact same thing.. .. Since it got it.. Even the dealer has tried to put them on.. they stated the same thing.. Operator error.. NOT.... I guess I just have to deal with it..
Dealer not being able to get them to stay on is no proof of defective product. I'm not saying yours isn't. My dealer was folding the top wrong on my jeep. Luckily I snatched it up so quick they didn't have enough time to do any damage.

My metho of putting them back on is as follows:

Get zipper started. Pull zipper about 6 inches to stabalize window.

Roll bottom of window channel into the frame.

Pull lower section of window near the channel into the bottom metal channel. Only a few inces to start.

Now the window is tight top to bottom. I roll the rest of the vertical window channel into the slot & tuck the velcro section under the roof. This gives me the least distortion around the hard door corner.

Zip the window across the top & down the back.

Pull the rest of the botton into the body channel.

There's no way it's coming out with the door shut.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:30 PM
JK Freak

ummm ... my dealer told me that the two rubber stops on the hood were the Sirius radio antenna, I swear I couldn't help but laugh at him.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ge99ne
Dealer not being able to get them to stay on is no proof of defective product. I'm not saying yours isn't. My dealer was folding the top wrong on my jeep. Luckily I snatched it up so quick they didn't have enough time to do any damage.

My metho of putting them back on is as follows:

Get zipper started. Pull zipper about 6 inches to stabalize window.

Roll bottom of window channel into the frame.

Pull lower section of window near the channel into the bottom metal channel. Only a few inces to start.

Now the window is tight top to bottom. I roll the rest of the vertical window channel into the slot & tuck the velcro section under the roof. This gives me the least distortion around the hard door corner.

Zip the window across the top & down the back.

Pull the rest of the botton into the body channel.

There's no way it's coming out with the door shut.
Not once did I state it was defective... And sure everyones got an opinion, but we know how that goes.. I will try your method.. But I'm sure its not going to make any difference.. I've been on several jeep lots looking at JK's and many on them show the same issue.. I was just stating that the dealer also tried therefore it wan not just me... And at that same time we walked over to a new one on the lot and it was the same... Therefore the dealer just stated "That's the way it is"....

Last edited by 1BADJK; 06-15-2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

yep, I'm a re: todd It's fine now. I suggest those still having problems look again. It's easy to over look.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jetsfan28
ummm ... my dealer told me that the two rubber stops on the hood were the Sirius radio antenna, I swear I couldn't help but laugh at him.
You have GOT to be kidding me! LOL

Moss----glad it worked out for you!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Not once did I state it was defective... And sure everyones got an opinion, but we know how that goes.. I will try your method.. But I'm sure its not going to make any difference.. I've been on several jeep lots looking at JK's and many on them show the same issue.. I was just stating that the dealer also tried therefore it wan not just me... And at that same time we walked over to a new one on the lot and it was the same... Therefore the dealer just stated "That's the way it is"....
Trust us, it isn't that yours is any different than the rest of ours. It is just that it takes some practice getting it right. The fact that the ones at the dealership look that way means that they have taken the tops down at the dealer, and can't figure out how to put them back on. My salesman said he had never heard of people rhino lining the tubs, and other people have mentioned things that show they just aren't very knowledgeable about their products, when that is all they do is sell them so they should know a lot. It isn't "the way it is" though.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Absolutely not 'the way it is!'
I have always gotten mine in tight and never flap in the wind.
Friend of mine bought an "X" and told me one day his doors were not shutting properly. When I looked, you guessed it, he did not have the side windows installed correctly. When I showed him mine, he was surprised. Went over to his vehicle and removed them and reinstalled correctly. Worked and fit just fine. Told me his were never like that - even from the factory.

I agree. I had an extremely hard time removing my rear window the first time. Seems like the factory did not install it correctly. I noticed two lines on the left side zipper. A white one and a green one. They were about one inch out of line. Because of that, I could not get my rear window zipper to come open so I could remove it. After about 10 minutes of pulling, I decided the dealer should tear it, so off I went. One of the dealer experts took a look and said that's not right. After his 10 minutes of pulling, they finally separated.

So remember, even the factory does not always get it right!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

This is what the side window should look like if done properly.
[IMG][/IMG]
See how it wraps around and is tucked into the channel.
Open your door push the "L" shaped plastic into the groove on the door surround, the other side of the "L" faces the front of the Jeep (where the door hits) When your door is closed you should not be able to feel/see that plastic "L".
If all the Jeeps on your dealers lot are just hanging there, flapping, go to a different dealer and look at theirs.
You should be able to atatch the door side of the window only and let it go, with the door open it should not fall out.

Quick Reply: Soft top windows flapping in the wind?