Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Windows

Old 05-09-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Windows

I have rolled my rear window up 3 times, and it is detroyed. Complete scuffed up.

My read window is scuffed up in about a two inch line at each of the elastic loops.
Also scuffed up along the entire width of the window from the bar that goes across the bottom. Looks to be scuffed every 5 inches up the window across the entire width.

I assume the scuffs came because the window were a bit dirty.

Do you clean your window before you roll up?

Do you remove the bar across the bottom of the window?

Anything i can use to remove the scuffs?

Irritating!

-Evan
Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Former Member

I would like to know these answers too. Bump
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

If my window is dusty (gritty) or otherwise dirty, YES I will clean the window (inside and outside) before rolling it up. I have never removed the gate bar. I roll to the inside when rolling and make sure the tabs and fabric at the bottom cover the bar as it rolls up.

Rolling up a dirty window will scratch the heck out of it.

If I'm ever in a pinch and can't clean the window before taking it up, I'll just zip it out and put it under the rear seat so it doesn't get badly scratched.

You can clean the windows using standard non-ammonia glass cleaner (I like Clear-Vue now sold under the Turtle Wax brand).

For repairing scratches or just to help restore the plastic windows try the Novus line of plastic polishes. Novus #2 is fine scratch remover and should work for most minor scratches (there is a #3 that is for deeper scratches). After using Novus #2 or #3 you should use Novus #1 Clean and Shine to finalize your work. Novus can help remove oxidation and clean and shine your oxidized polycarbonate head lights as well.

I'll be putting my new 2011 soft top on today, my experience above refelcts owning a 1998 SE Soft Top and a 1999 SE Soft TJ's. The 1998 I got with just a few thousand miles as a trade in and the windows were perfect. When I got rid of it 3 years later they were still nearly perfect with only minor wear on the rear window.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default roll up window

I clean mine before i roll it up, but either way it is going to get scratched. i use a water hose to knock off the grime, then clean it, then roll it up, but it always gets some scratches on it.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mataylor1
I clean mine before i roll it up, but either way it is going to get scratched. i use a water hose to knock off the grime, then clean it, then roll it up, but it always gets some scratches on it.
Thanks guys!

Does it make a difference if you roll to the inside or outside? First time i rolled to the inside...and that is when the straps scratched the outside of the window.

This time a rolled to the outside with the inside getting scuffed.

I guess either way i will get scratches.

Does any other have recommendations for plastic polishes?

-Evan
Old 05-09-2011, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

I always try to clean mine before removing, generally I don't roll them up, rather I lay the flat in the garage. If I remove them when not at home I lay the flat in the back under the back seat as previously mentioned.

I know there is a roll up storage bag/duffle offered online that has soft felt or fleece layers that lay between each window to keep them protected. It's kind of like a book with fleece/felt "pages" that separate each window. Now that better weather is now more frequent and I will be removing the windows more often I will definitely be considering the storage "bag"!
Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I learned this lesson from my TJ. I NEVER roll my rear window up. Either pull it off and leave it at home, or pull it and put it behind your rear seat. The elastic straps will scratch window up regardless of how clean it is when you roll it.

There are soft top window cleaner kits that can help clean it up, but it won't look like new when done, just better.

Sorry about this lesson. I don't know why they offer the straps. They ought to offer a pouch for the back that you can slide the window in to after zipping it out. If done right you would keep the retainer on it as well.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try keeping a soft towel or blanket in your jeep and if you need to roll them up take them off and roll them up in the blanket or towel that way it can reduce the scratches. I know they sell kits that allow you to roll up your windows using the same idea but they're probably around 2347852034752 dollars like everything else small and nifty thats factory made.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I roll in, it looks better by not showing the interior vinyl and sheds water from outside better. Either way you roll you will put the dirty outside against the clean inside. Tighter rolls prevent shifting and scratching some. I use Maguire's window cleaner and polish, does a good job making them look better. The elastic straps will marr the windows, unavoidable, however I have learned to pull the straps up and over the frame and then loop over the outboard edges of the bottom rail. This holds the window higher for better visibilty and keeps the straps off the main part of the window.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Get some soft glass cleaner. I have a bottle of Meguiars PlastX, does a good job. Makes it so you can see through them again. Repairs minor scratches and scuffs. Meguiar's clear plastic cleaner and polish does a great job from what I hear. A lot of guys swear by Plexus too. I hear Pledge (non-lemon) does a great job.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Windows