Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top straps twisted ? How to fix?

Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finally got it straightened out! The strap was in fact riveted wrong. They had it wrapped around the 3/8 pole one time on each side. Like I said, it would let the top close but it was too tight and created a hump in the roof, it was also pulling on that 3/8 bar. Since the bar was tack welded on top and riveted at the bottom, the only feasible option was to drill out the rivets on the strap, unwrap it and re rivet it. Now the strap is straight , the roof closes properly and the hump is gone. The hump was caused from the strap being twisted and it forced the bar with the foot on it which ran across the top to be forced down and positioned wrong. So the moral of the story is.... things can be installed wrong from the factory!!Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Steve
Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is an old thread but...I recently purchased a 2010 JKU and it sounds like I have the same top as the OP. Does anyone know what top this is? In all of the YouTube references I've seen, I've never seen this top.

As for the OP (again, I know this is a long time ago!) I had the same problem recently; the nylon strap had gotten into an odd way when one of the screws at the forward hinge had fallen out, resulting in the strap getting on the wrong side of the arms.

Quick Reply: Soft top straps twisted ? How to fix?