Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top straps twisted ? How to fix?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top straps twisted ? How to fix?

I just bought a used softop for my 4 door. I put it on yesterday. My question is, the 2" wide nylon strap that runs from the rear of the top that keeps tension. It is riveted at the back and then runs forward to another rivet point , that part is straight with no twists. Then it continues towards the front of the jeep and is riveted to a bar which is located behind the driver seat. This section of strap is twisted around the bar which makes it VERY tight. The only way to untwist it is to drill out the rivets, unwrap and re-rivet? I'm trying to figure out if I have something wrong or the guy I got it from actually riveted it incorrectly? I would assume it was riveted at the factory? Any help appreciated, steve
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Any chance you could post a picture? I had to re-rivet mine, but that was because the strap got pulled out of the rivets.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have it under the tube. take a very good look at it.
I had the same issue yesterday but I said "there is no way that it was riveted wrong" kept looking and and it had gotten under the tube.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Release the tension, give the strap some slack. Turn the strap around the rivet, clock wise or counter.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by WilKJ
I think you have it under the tube. take a very good look at it.
I had the same issue yesterday but I said "there is no way that it was riveted wrong" kept looking and and it had gotten under the tube.
X2

the strap runs over the top of the last bar it is attached too going towards the front, look in the owners manual for more info, good luck
Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys I will relook at it tommorow and see if its possible it got flipped around, Steve
Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

ok i just went and looked at it. I was able to wrap the strap around the tube where it connects. Then the strap was straight. But, with the extra wrap, it was too tight. As the top folded forward it just hit a wall from the tension on the strap because it was now shortened and wouldn't let the top go forward toward the windshield. It was suspended up at about a 45 degree angle. I unscrewed the bars where the go into the snap locking mechanism to try and feed them back through the strap but I still couldn't get enough slack though to feed it through. It trully acts as though it was riveted wrong? If i could release the 3/8" diameter bar it would be a simple fix to unwrap the strap and get it positioned correct. Unfortunately, it is riveted top and bottom! This can't be this difficult but I an pulling what little hair I have left out!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem with my two door. I had to take the top off and flip it around before reattaching. I guess I got it all jumbled up when i was putting it on the first time
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

defiantly need pics on this one. It sounds like as others have said, it's wrapped around one of the bars. Snap some pics before doing anything. it may be ass simple as taking off the top moving the strap and installing the top again.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by warden415
I just bought a used softop for my 4 door. I put it on yesterday. My question is, the 2" wide nylon strap that runs from the rear of the top that keeps tension. It is riveted at the back and then runs forward to another rivet point , that part is straight with no twists. Then it continues towards the front of the jeep and is riveted to a bar which is located behind the driver seat. This section of strap is twisted around the bar which makes it VERY tight. The only way to untwist it is to drill out the rivets, unwrap and re-rivet? I'm trying to figure out if I have something wrong or the guy I got it from actually riveted it incorrectly? I would assume it was riveted at the factory? Any help appreciated, steve
I bought mine after the fact and it doesn't have rivets, I tonight they all had pan-head screws.

Learn something new every day

Quick Reply: Soft top straps twisted ? How to fix?