Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top rear window.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top rear window.

I searched, but I could not finid an answer. I am kind of a newby to jeeps. Had a KJ for two years and now I have a JK. The soft top is new to me.

I got the top up and everything, I know how to work the sunrider feature. But, the were window has two zipper heads. Reading the book does not help to answer why there are two zipper heads. As you all know, you start both zipper heads on the left, and zip it closed to the right. Taking it out, you take the right zipper head and go left.

But, since it has two zipper heads, I could raise the left side and go right. So, the questions is, what is the purpose of two zipper heads? I was thinking that it like that so one call roll it up without really taking it off? some what like the hard top rear window? I did not see any straps to actualy roll it up and hold it up like that.

I read that the rear window should not be in place with the sunrider up and you groing faster than 40. So, I was thinking that the two heads was to help vent by partially ziiping both side up a bit.

So, can you tell me, what am I missing here?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Newbie

You are correct about rolling it up. Your JK should have come with two small elastic straps with a metal snap on each of them. These snap into the soft top frame on the inside at the top of the rear window. When you want to roll the window up, unzip both sides and roll the window, then use the elastic straps to keep it in place. Sorry I don't have any pictures right now, maybe someone can post theirs...
Old 06-15-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Correct. but if you do roll up the window and secure it with the straps you will very likely cause scratches / wear marks on the window. Not fun to see on your new toy.

I unzip both sides up to the corners or just passed the corners for driving on the highway with the sunrider open. No problems so far.

Other posters have rigged the rear window by unzipping the sides as discussed and (with the swing gate bar still attached) bringing the top inward and up to the rooftop (the exact opposite of how the hardtop window opens) and strapping the ends of the bar to the roll bar with bungee cords, etc. Sorry for the crappy description but maybe you get the picture.

I either unzip the sides or unzip it completely and lay it inward against the swing gate (still attached to the bar). Or best: leave it at home with the other two windows and the doors!

People (including me) like the roll-up storage bags for taking the windows out but keeping them safely with you in the Jeep.

Enjoy!
Old 06-15-2009, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ah... that is what I was missing. I went back to the box and the straps for the soft window and the velcro for the sunrider were taped inside that big tube. I did not see it there the first time. But I guess I would still have been wondering about it. The only thing I could find about the roll up straps in the book was that it was in the box.

I will keep in mind about the scratches. But it is good to here that I could just unzip them a bit as a vent. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet

I unzip both sides up to the corners or just passed the corners for driving on the highway with the sunrider open. No problems so far.

Other posters have rigged the rear window by unzipping the sides as discussed and (with the swing gate bar still attached) bringing the top inward and up to the rooftop (the exact opposite of how the hardtop window opens) and strapping the ends of the bar to the roll bar with bungee cords, etc. Sorry for the crappy description but maybe you get the picture.

I either unzip the sides or unzip it completely and lay it inward against the swing gate (still attached to the bar). Or best: leave it at home with the other two windows and the doors!
I leave my rear window in place when I open the Sunrider. I've been up to 60 MPH with no problems. The side windows suck in some but I've had no problems in a year of doing this. I have a 2 door, don't know how a 4 door would act.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreytSilly
I leave my rear window in place when I open the Sunrider. I've been up to 60 MPH with no problems. The side windows suck in some but I've had no problems in a year of doing this. I have a 2 door, don't know how a 4 door would act.
When I leave the rear window in, it gets "baggy" almost as if the air rushing against it has stretched it out. A few hours in the hot sun and it shrinks again. I'm just worried the force on it will wear out where it is sewn in.

If I'm going to go over 45, I usually just unzip the window and [while still connected to the tailgate bar and tailgate bar still in place] lay it down in the cargo area. Works good, easier than rolling it, and it's there if needed. I will have to try just unzipping the sides or a little past the corners as mentioned above. This might be even quicker.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I roll it up use the straps. I have found on here that you can use plege funiture polish on it and it will fix the scratches and repel water
Old 06-16-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

yo jedi!

don't bother with those elastic straps. unzip your window completely, leave it attached to the tailgate bar and let it fall into your cargo area. rolling the window results in scratches 100%. plus leaving it attached to the tailgate bar makes it easier to close up, just zip 'er back up! i did this when i had a factory soft top all the time. no scratches, no problems. i even left it like this w/the factory soft top all the way down. try it out man, you'll be happy.

as for riding w/the sunrider feature w/the window fully zipped up, i never ran my top that way when i had it. always had it down when the sunrider was open. i kind of miss that top. it was really easy / functional.

Last edited by revolucion!; 06-16-2009 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks all. Those are all good ideas. I think I will try the vent thing. But letting it hang down while still on the tail gate bar sounds good for the highway. But, here in Colorado, the trails get real dusty and the JK collects lots of red dust/sand when the top is down, or all the windows are taken out. I have been vacuuming dust from my last quick trail ride for a few days now. And it was a light trail at that, barely needed 4wd. I have the two door rubi as well.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by revolucion!
yo jedi!

don't bother with those elastic straps. unzip your window completely, leave it attached to the tailgate bar and let it fall into your cargo area. rolling the window results in scratches 100%. plus leaving it attached to the tailgate bar makes it easier to close up, just zip 'er back up!
x100 on this one.

Quick Reply: Soft Top rear window.