Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top rear window

Old 02-06-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Instead of buying some special pieces of felt you can just get a decent terry-cloth towel to roll up in the window to protect the outside and then wrap the rest in a second towel so the inside doesn't get scratched as well. If you do get a few small scratches in the glass, i would recommend using Novus cleaner, stages 1 - 3; 1 to clean, 2 for fien scratches and 3 for deeper scratches. It also works on paint and i've found it to work pretty well! we use it in th eboat canvas industry and it brings back glass pretty well.

But the deep gashes are there to stay unless you find a second set of windows or get your glass replaced by a canvas shop. I might replace my glass with some scratch resistant strata glass this spring to make the jeep a little nicer.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 on the Novus. If they are mild work with the #2 then clean and shine (#1). You can try #3 for those really tough scratches.

Best recommendation for keeping it looking good in the first place is to keep some cleaner and paper towels handy. Clean that window real quick before rolling it up to remove the grit and grime (if lightly soiled, you're gonna have to wash with water and rinse if heavily soiled). The beach towel or felt could be extra insurance as well.

I had a 98 that I got almost new (rarely had the top down with the first owner) and I always cleaned the back window before rolling it up. I kept a small bottle of Clear Vue and paper towels in the Jeep and hit it real quick when I needed to roll up the window. (now sold under the Turtle Wax name - but it's an ammonia free automotive glass cleaner). The rear window was in great shape when I got rid of her 3 years later and I always rolled it up when taking the top down and left it on the Jeep folded down with the top (I know - the manual says not to do that).
Old 02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
JK Freak

I think replacement windows only run about $300 for a set. At that price, I can afford to let them get scratched to hell and just plan on replacing them every other year or so. At $150 a year, I can just set aside about $12 a month.

My side windows got chewed up pretty good on my last offroad trip. I took my JK on a trail WAY too narrow for it, and had tree limbs scraping the side the entire time. The paint held up surprisingly well, the the windows are properly pinstriped now.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I used to do this on my tj and once it went out the back and started flapping all over my tire and it really got scratched then.
I do it when I put my top down, so the whole top is holding the window down. You're right...doesn't seem like it would work with just the windows out.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

I just unzip mine and let it sit in the cargo hold. Dosent get scratched easily, and its easy to zip back up if you find yourself in a rainstorm.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk

I used to do this on my tj and once it went out the back and started flapping all over my tire and it really got scratched then.
Same here, those screw heads on the back of the third brake light are brutal!

Quick Reply: Soft top rear window