Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Opinions Needed

Old 01-20-2012, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Soft Top Opinions Needed

My first post!!! Yippeeeee!!! I've been lurking here for a few months, soaking up all the wonderous JK techie knowledge. Ya'll ROCK!!!

I currently have a hardtop 2dr 08 JK. It's my mid-life crisis vehicle (purchased late last year.) LOL I LOVE my hardtop in these cold temps, but summer will be here soon and I want to purchase a soft top. I've read lots of threads here and am still confused as to which top I should get. I've been looking at a Trektop NX, a Supertop NX and a Sunrider. I've pretty much come to terms with that fact that it's gonna be a wanker to tear down at the end of summer and reinstall the hard top, but that's OK. My main concern is how easily/quickly the top can be put up and down. I love the idea of how the sunrider just folds back and you don't have to store the top separately. But is this an easy process???

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

I can't speak to the supertop or sunrider, but I have a trektop and I love it! The install is simple and uses existing threaded holes (no drilling). I have a 4 door, but it looks like it works the same on a two door. There are no bows so you can take it off fairly easily and store it in the back. If you only want the "sunroof" option, you just remove two knob screws and roll back the top and snap it down. It's just as easy to put it back, but on those cool nights when the material shrinks, you have to put a little force behind it to get the knob screws screwed back into the windshield header. If you check out the videos on the website, you'll know what I mean. I also have a bikini tpp but I like the trektop better.
I run the trektop all summer and swap back to the hardtop in the fall. I rigged up a lift system in my garage using 2x4s and tie down straps. I can take the hardtop off in about a half hour by myself.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just bought a Mopar soft top of a 12' for my 11' off Craigslist for $600 still in the boxes. Check there, a lot of people get the dual top option then end up selling one or sometimes both
Old 01-20-2012, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Not gonna lie, it takes patience and practice to take it down and put it back up.
You dont want to be in a hurry either time.

The sunrider is very simple.
When you are using the sunrider the back window needs to be unzipped totally over speeds of 45 mph.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I take mine on and off all the time, I don't see it as an issue when input the CRES on. The stock sun rider mine came with is great when I don't want to drop the entire thing! My only complaint is the slide bars that you have to align to go from sun rider to full top fold back. Overall I think it rocks!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Welcome!

I got the dual top and I'm happy with the Sunrider. (I got it Sept 30th so I didn't get a lot of use before I put the hardtop on) It only takes a minute to open or close the sunrider. I only put the whole top down twice. I don't think it will take long once I get used to doing it. I think it took me as long to roll the windows up in the case as it did to put the top down.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2x on Craigslist. I watched until there was one close to me for sale as they are big and no one wants to ship. $500 dollars for a factory take off 4 door top, dealer wanted $1800. If you have someone to assist removal of the hard top its not bad at all. I made a platform that hangs from the ceiling with ratchet straps. When I am ready to take the hard top off I back the Jeep in, lower the platform level and slide the top over on the platform. Then I can ratchet it up out of the way enough to get the hood of the Jeep under it. Soft top is easy to put on.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Another Vote for Trektop

This is my second Trektop. The fastback look cannot be beat. I have a ton of people ask me about the top... really sweet looking.

I went with regular Trektop and not the NX. I like the ability to pull it off, roll up the top and throw it in the back. I had a KargoMaster rack on my last Jeep and Trektop was perfect... slid right off the back.

I am not a big fan of the hinge. Would rather roll it. And like that I don't have to mess with roof rack to take top off.

Good luck with your research!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Personally I'm not a fan of the NX, but to each his own. I heard it also doesn't make it easy fitting larger items in the back bc of the slope. Regardless, get a soft top and enjoy it. Summers a coming
Old 01-22-2012, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

Smile : )

Thank ya'll so much for all the input!!!

Quick Reply: Soft Top Opinions Needed