Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Help

Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Help

I'm trying to completely remove the back window from a 2-door soft top. Which side does the zipper un-hook from?
Thanks
Old 07-22-2008, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi! Start at the lower right side and unzip it to the lower left side. When BOTH zippers are tight to each other gently pull down on the lower left side near the two zippers. The rear window is a PITA to both remove and replace. Do yourself a real favor after you get it out and clean the teeth on both the top and the window with a brass "toothbrush" and rub both zipper sections with a bar of soap. So far mine never has gotten "easy" but I have learned what to expect and "tolerate" the ordeal. It's worth it to run "topless"! Take care... Mike
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Try this

Mike- good suggestion on the zipper clean & lube. Guys I've had excellent luck zipping the rear window in and out by: (1) insuring the zipper ends are perfectly even when starting your string pulls. (2) when zipping to the right to install the window pull the string pull with your right hand and follow the string pull with your left hand, pushing the string pull body with your fingers and maintaining the string pull straight so it won't bind on the zipper teeth.(3) When unzipping reverse the above. Believe it or not, practice this and you can remove or install the window in about 15 seconds...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i.e. the zippers stay on exactly the other side and exactly opposite from what you got used to on a TJ, if that's what you're asking..
Old 07-22-2008, 07:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i.e. the zippers stay on exactly the other side and exactly opposite from what you got used to on a TJ, if that's what you're asking..
although you still unzip the whole thing from right to left.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I unzip mine as far as possible to the left(it's a pain to completely unzip it at this point) and then unhook the rear cross bar from both sides, then go back and get the last half inch of zipper to unhook. Works wonders.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

i found that if ur having difficulty unzipping the rear (while the top is up of course) if u unhook the portion of the sail panel that tucks in the to tub on the left side, where zippers exit, the slack is enough. u can do this when zipping it back up too and it makes it easier to mate the 2 zippers together. also sliding the rear window/support bar a little towards the left also makes it easier as it eases some tension in the window / sail panel. and x 2 on all the other helpful hints already posted, make sure those 2 are sitting tight together!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

has anyone hear had their fingers cut unzipping the zipper?? Ive had my thumb cut 2x, maybe Im doing it to fast
Old 07-23-2008, 02:53 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SCJK08
has anyone hear had their fingers cut unzipping the zipper?? Ive had my thumb cut 2x, maybe Im doing it to fast
I had noticed the avatar, tell that boy he has a real talent....

Quick Reply: Soft Top Help