Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Header Whistle Fix Coming From Jeep

Old 03-21-2011, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for this part?

How much for this new header? Is it east to install? Thanks!
Old 03-21-2011, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

Per dealership in san Antonio, it's 134 and some change
Old 04-07-2011, 12:13 AM
JK Newbie

Default New Top with Header Still here the whistle

I have a 2007 JK Unlimted. I recently installed a new 2011 complete top with all new hardware and I still get the wind whistle noise. Several others has luck with the new header, but mine still makes the noise with new everything. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cavlary
I have a 2007 JK Unlimted. I recently installed a new 2011 complete top with all new hardware and I still get the wind whistle noise. Several others has luck with the new header, but mine still makes the noise with new everything. Any ideas?
The header weatherstripping has been tweaked and improved since 07. I would recommend if you are mechanically inclined to order one up and replace it. Let me know if you would like more info.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
The header weatherstripping has been tweaked and improved since 07. I would recommend if you are mechanically inclined to order one up and replace it. Let me know if you would like more info.
Any info would be great. Where can I order the weatherstripping, cost, difficulty ect? Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Default Whistle after installing new header

I have a 2007 JK that was making a lot of wind noise, a rushing roar, not a whistle. Although most folks seem to describe the new steel header as a cure for a whistle, I tried it anyway. Happily, the rushing wind noise was virtually eliminated.

However, now I could hear a whistle above 40 mph. I presume it was always there but I didn't hear it because the roar was so loud. Furthermore, the whistle was just as evident with the top down as it was with the top up!

So I got out some masking tape and started taping things off around the windshield and hood. It turned out to that my whistle resulted from air leaking in around the hood. There was already a black rubber seal under the central part of the leading edge of the hood so I added some Home Depot weather stripping on either side of that so that it sealed the hood out to the left and right edges.

No more whistle!

Don't know if this is relevant to anyone elses problem but I thought I'd put it out there.

I'd have never learned about the new header plate if not for this forum and it made a huge difference in overall noise level for me,

Thanks guys!

DP
Old 04-11-2011, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any info would be great. Where can I order the weatherstripping, cost, difficulty ect? Thanks again!
At least on the 2007-2010 models the general part number was originally: 55397454AA

I have been told that each minor revision of production product changes the 2-letter suffix by the superceding letter in the alphabet.

e.g. Revision 1 = XXXXX-AB, Revision 2 = XXXXX-AC,...etc.

Last year I wanted to order a new header seal for a 2007 Rubicon and discovered that the latest version was already up to "AG" and it did have minor changes when it arrived.

Further, there was a new procedure for applying butyl waterproofing under the seal since 2007, I remember seeing a document around here with photos and descriptions. I will try to locate it.

If you are going to replace it, I believe it is around $50-70 depending on which online wholesale Mopar business you order through.

You will need a new seal, a pack of butyl adhesive strips, and 2 rivets to re-secure the sides to the windshield frame.

That should be a start.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Matt08jk
At least on the 2007-2010 models the general part number was originally: 55397454AA

I have been told that each minor revision of production product changes the 2-letter suffix by the superceding letter in the alphabet.

e.g. Revision 1 = XXXXX-AB, Revision 2 = XXXXX-AC,...etc.

Last year I wanted to order a new header seal for a 2007 Rubicon and discovered that the latest version was already up to "AG" and it did have minor changes when it arrived.

Further, there was a new procedure for applying butyl waterproofing under the seal since 2007, I remember seeing a document around here with photos and descriptions. I will try to locate it.

If you are going to replace it, I believe it is around $50-70 depending on which online wholesale Mopar business you order through.

You will need a new seal, a pack of butyl adhesive strips, and 2 rivets to re-secure the sides to the windshield frame.

That should be a start.
Thanks that helps a lot. Does anyone know where to buy one? I really want to order the right one. I have a 2007 JK U with a new 2011 top and hardware. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks that helps a lot. Does anyone know where to buy one? I really want to order the right one. I have a 2007 JK U with a new 2011 top and hardware. Thanks.
I bought 68049276AB at the dealer and replaced mine last night...... It worked like a charm and it got rid of the whistle and rushing air sound! Only cost $146. Pay close attention to how everything comes apart and put it back together the same way, not hard at all. WELL WORTH IT!
Old 05-07-2011, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where did you get your 2011 top if you don't mind me asking?

Quick Reply: Soft Top Header Whistle Fix Coming From Jeep