Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Header Whistle Fix Coming From Jeep

Old 07-23-2008, 05:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Header Whistle Fix Coming From Jeep

I have had my 08 Sahara with duel tops in for the header seal whistle (when the soft top is on) two times and both times the dealer replaced the header molding without any change. They, along with myself knew it wouldn't correct the problem, but they did it anyway, and worked with Jeep to point out the real design engineering fault of the design. It doesn't take much analysis of the situation to see a couple things at work with the current design. First, most tops you see out there, have a couple slight bows in them, where the header lip is actually lifted slightly off the seal, when clamped down, the header bar lip is not rigid enough. Second, and I'll try to explain in words, if you look closely at the force action when you hook your latches to the windshield frame and then clamp them down, the point at where the pulling force is applied to the header bar when clamping is pulling from the back side/further away from the lip of the header and essentially causes the front leading edge of the header bar to tip up slightly when clamped, effectively tipping the front lip of the header up away from the molding slightly. A better design would have the pulling force point closer to the lip or leading edge of the header bar and then when clamped it would be pulling the lip more directly down into the molding instead of it tipping up slightly with the current design. The current header design is not rigid enough. I was notified by my dealer yesterday that Jeep is currently producing a replacement steel header bar to replace the plastic one for vehicles out there with this problem. My dealer is keeping a list of affected vehicles and expects to have parts released sometime in the September timeframe. Hopefully this will correct the problem as it is very annoying in the 35-50 mph range.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

Any news about this? I have this exact problem. The whistle and small water leak at the latches are annoying. (07 2Dr. with non-sunrider top)
Old 09-14-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha... sounds like a fairy tale. Good Luck. I hope it comes true.

I am in the same boat with you. Whistles, leaks, etc. sucks.

It's really not funny.

I kinda do get a chuckle out of the crappy design though. The whole water tightness of the vehicle relies on sticky tape, foam, and crappy clamps. About as lame as you can get. I especially love the pdf that's in the water leak threads that shows 100 ways to reconfigure a bunch of foam and crap to "fix" the problem.

I'm just waiting for the new improved redesign with the silly putty.

Last edited by saltman; 09-14-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Freak

This is definitly required, mine is a PITA as well.

I have even noticed that it is much quiter in wet weather because the water surface tension effectively blocks the tiny gap at the header.

The swirly whistle is very annoying and is not warrented with a $30 000 truck.

I am hoping this is indeed true and not alot of fluff,...please keep me informed.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Default New Header is installed

I can understand someone thinking it's a fairy tale, but it isn't. It's odd this post got pulled to the top as it's been a dead post. I just had it installed last Wednesday. No Pic yet, sorry to busy, but I will get one up. It has no part number yet and is ordered and shipped from Chrysler Engineering. I'm sure it will have a part number soon. What's it like? I'll say they really fixed it rite. The virtual air flow that came thru my header that pretty much laid on top of the seal with the old header bar, and even was bowed up slightly in two spots if you looked acrossed it. The New one is a nice straight piece that gets pulled down into the sea and seals it off good. It's substantially more rigid than the old one. The first thing I did when I picked it up was look for a part number on the repair order and there is none yet, as I was going to post it here.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Please post pics and futher information if you can get it, I want to get this done.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:32 PM
JK Newbie

Question

Any further info on the header and related part number? Dealer is ordering me a new top, frame, the works - had no idea the new header was out there. Def want to get my hands on it; original header design sux and has been replaced on my '08 2x. Top continues to bow and even lift at highway speeds. A pic or two of the newly installed header would really help, too. Thanx!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by onvacation
I can understand someone thinking it's a fairy tale, but it isn't. It's odd this post got pulled to the top as it's been a dead post. I just had it installed last Wednesday. No Pic yet, sorry to busy, but I will get one up. It has no part number yet and is ordered and shipped from Chrysler Engineering. I'm sure it will have a part number soon. What's it like? I'll say they really fixed it rite. The virtual air flow that came thru my header that pretty much laid on top of the seal with the old header bar, and even was bowed up slightly in two spots if you looked acrossed it. The New one is a nice straight piece that gets pulled down into the sea and seals it off good. It's substantially more rigid than the old one. The first thing I did when I picked it up was look for a part number on the repair order and there is none yet, as I was going to post it here.
If it's not a fairytail guess what ok so let's see it, the dealer should have the part number unless your just pullin our leg.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mkjeep
If it's not a fairytail guess what ok so let's see it, the dealer should have the part number unless your just pullin our leg.
Yuh just need to be patient, chasing down jeep problems is a full time job. I've been busy, I'll get to it. Hear this, "there is no part number yet unless they have come up with one in the last few days" AND I ain't gonna be the one following up to see if there is one yet or when it does come out. I'll get you a pic, and I have said what my repair order said. Some of you people need to putt and keep more pressure on your dealers and go up the chain if you have to, instead of always wanting someone else to do the work for you. STAY on-em if they don't give you the results or answers you need. ANY dealer could and can get ahold of the rite contact which they do have and find out that in fact this header is out there and will be available. The only way I got it was to do exactly what I have just described to you, be thankful, I was one of you all who wasn't accepting the top the way it was, because that's the only way we get a better one in the end. SO it's because of others like myself that will help bring about a situation where you will be able to just walk in with the problem and have a method already in place to take care of it. Ya, I'm giving yuh a little crap, but all in fun. All I'm tryin to do is help you guys out like many have helped me out on here as well. COOL?
Old 09-16-2008, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

The part number should be printed on the part. Like all the other parts.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Header Whistle Fix Coming From Jeep