Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top folding

Old 03-30-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my soft top earlier this month and it came with two elastic straps to hold the top down. I didn't get 50 feet down the street when a gust of wind got hold of the top and popped the straps off one hit the sound bar and one disappeared, glad I wasn't on the highway when it did that would have become a parachute. So I bought the soft top boot from Jeep, 100 bucks and no worries about the top becoming a parachute again. It also makes a storage compartment when the seats up so you're stuff in the back is a little more secure.

On an additional note I noticed that when you place the middle support bar underneath the rear support bar when stowed, the top stores closer the the body and folds nicer. granted mines a two door but it may be the same on a four.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gaff
I know this sounds stupid, but I just do not want to ruin my top (can't afford to replace it right now).

When I fold the top on my unlimited all the way down, the material of the top folds nicely, but it sits on the roll bars so that it does not lie flat. I have tried 7 or 8 times and just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The material is folding just like the way that the frame folds, kinda pinches it. The only way I can kinda fix it is by pushing the plastic retainers in toward the middle, but I fear ruining them because they bend oddly. I do not think the original owner ever put the top down on this 07 unlimited.

I wish I had close up pics but the temp has dropped here in VA.

Anyone who can throw me a bone, thanks to everyone who answers these newbie questions.
If the top is sitting on the roll bars, does the bow assembly tend to stand up on an angle similar to that of you roll bars? If this is what yours is doing, then you need more folds in the top. It makes for a pretty tall stack on the back of the jeep, but the arms tend to hang into the tub, in lieu of standing out.

If your top is like mine it's natural tendancy is to fold the wrong way. They gloss over this in the video, making it look like the top just flops into place folded correctly. Hope this helps.
Old 03-30-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TwoMileHigh
I just got my soft top earlier this month and it came with two elastic straps to hold the top down. I didn't get 50 feet down the street when a gust of wind got hold of the top and popped the straps off one hit the sound bar and one disappeared, glad I wasn't on the highway when it did that would have become a parachute. So I bought the soft top boot from Jeep, 100 bucks and no worries about the top becoming a parachute again. It also makes a storage compartment when the seats up so you're stuff in the back is a little more secure.

On an additional note I noticed that when you place the middle support bar underneath the rear support bar when stowed, the top stores closer the the body and folds nicer. granted mines a two door but it may be the same on a four.

Perhaps this has changed since 2007, but mine came with 2 velcro straps and 2 elastic straps. The elastic held the back window while it's rolled up, and the nylon & velcro straps heeld the top.

Quick Reply: soft top folding