Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top folding

Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this sounds stupid, but I just do not want to ruin my top (can't afford to replace it right now).

When I fold the top on my unlimited all the way down, the material of the top folds nicely, but it sits on the roll bars so that it does not lie flat. I have tried 7 or 8 times and just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. The material is folding just like the way that the frame folds, kinda pinches it. The only way I can kinda fix it is by pushing the plastic retainers in toward the middle, but I fear ruining them because they bend oddly. I do not think the original owner ever put the top down on this 07 unlimited.

I wish I had close up pics but the temp has dropped here in VA.

Anyone who can throw me a bone, thanks to everyone who answers these newbie questions.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by myklt8
some guys will tell you that they never strap it down, but I would rather be safe than sorry. 10 seconds vs. several hundred dollars...
also grab some stuff called strap all (REI . com). stronger than factory straps, and you can make the straps longer so that it gets a better grip on itself (you will find other uses too)
I saw a movie where two women were using something called strap-on
Old 03-29-2009, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Velcro lined channel in soft top

Can someone explain what the purpose of the velcro channel is that wraps around the bar that runs above the sound bar? Am I supposed to undo the velcro when raising or lowering the top?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG5097.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	21405  
Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Super Freak

that holds the top on the frame... NO you do NOT undo it
Old 03-29-2009, 03:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by greenamphibious
that holds the top on the frame... NO you do NOT undo it
Can someone then explain why it is velcro? Why not just have it sewed permanently around the bar if it isn't supposed to be taken on and off?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
Can someone then explain why it is velcro? Why not just have it sewed permanently around the bar if it isn't supposed to be taken on and off?
I would imagine that eventually, like with TJ tops, you will be able to purchase a Bestop Replace-a-Top for a JK. This is just the fabric and you have to fit it onto your hardware. Would be hard to do if everything was permanently sewed on.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

In watching the video (and in my manual) it shows using the velcro to hold the top totally down but I do not have the slot in my 07 to hold it down. Is this an early 07 thing (Mine is not that early though.) Anyone else? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sciguy6
In watching the video (and in my manual) it shows using the velcro to hold the top totally down but I do not have the slot in my 07 to hold it down. Is this an early 07 thing (Mine is not that early though.) Anyone else? Thanks.
Mine is an 08. If I recall correctly, it was built in Dec 07.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks good to me!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sciguy6
There was discussion on this early on in the forum, seems like 4 doors had it, but some 2 doors did not. you can just strap the arms together (kinda like in the sunrider position) and it will be fine

Quick Reply: soft top folding