Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

soft top folding

Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by myklt8
some guys will tell you that they never strap it down, but I would rather be safe than sorry. 10 seconds vs. several hundred dollars...
also grab some stuff called strap all (REI . com). stronger than factory straps, and you can make the straps longer so that it gets a better grip on itself (you will find other uses too)

i have some stronger stuff at work that i am looking into using but thanks for the info
Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your first pic looked the best. The goal is to get it as low as possible... without damaging it of course.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

my 4 dr seems weird. do you fold the very back down into the cargo area first then the "sunrider" part lays on top acordion style? i can t never seem to get it down and make it look nice.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LakeTravisJK
Your first pic looked the best. The goal is to get it as low as possible... without damaging it of course.
in the second set of pictures i got it lower after i got it folded right i was just showing the fold it actually laid all the way down flat
Old 09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by greasemonkey85
my 4 dr seems weird. do you fold the very back down into the cargo area first then the "sunrider" part lays on top acordion style? i can t never seem to get it down and make it look nice.
Ok, sorry for bringing this back from the dead, but I have the same question as above.

The sunrider part folds perfectly acordian style and I've watched the Jeep video and while it says tuck the back part into the tub, it doesn't ever really show what that looks like.

Mine looks fine from the outside, but inside the tub it looks like a bunched up mess.

Is this just how it is or am I screwing it up somehow? And if anyone has a pic of how it is supposed to look from inside the tub, please post it up.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

You just need to tuck the "top material" down inside the Jeep. This is my 3rd one, and they have all folded the same way, and I never used anything to strap it down. The only thing I see wrong with the second attempt pics is...the door surround plastic pieces should not be accordianed running parrallel with the Jeep front to back. Those plastic pieces should be folded like an accordian but then pushed in 90 degress running parrallel with the back seat, and the header part of the top should fold down over the plastic pieces. Watch that video again that was posted, and you will see the the guy, right before he tucks in the straps after folding, he pushes the plastic door surround pieces in making them parrallel with the back seat.

Also, you can slide the plastic sleave for the sunrider forward once the top is down. this allows the top, when folded, to lay a little more flat behind the seat. As for it bunching up behind the seat, that is normal. As I said, every Wrangler I have owned is like that, and I have never had a problem with any of my tops.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

To clarify, I have always just pushed the top down, behind the seat as it folds. This tends to fill up the cargo area, but it keeps it down and out of the way, and helps it to lay lower and more flat behind the seat. You just want to make sure you are not pulling, stretching, or bending any crutial ares when it is down. That's it.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wrnglrguy
You just need to tuck the "top material" down inside the Jeep. This is my 3rd one, and they have all folded the same way, and I never used anything to strap it down. The only thing I see wrong with the second attempt pics is...the door surround plastic pieces should not be accordianed running parrallel with the Jeep front to back. Those plastic pieces should be folded like an accordian but then pushed in 90 degress running parrallel with the back seat, and the header part of the top should fold down over the plastic pieces. Watch that video again that was posted, and you will see the the guy, right before he tucks in the straps after folding, he pushes the plastic door surround pieces in making them parrallel with the back seat.

Also, you can slide the plastic sleave for the sunrider forward once the top is down. this allows the top, when folded, to lay a little more flat behind the seat. As for it bunching up behind the seat, that is normal. As I said, every Wrangler I have owned is like that, and I have never had a problem with any of my tops.
x2 here. The longest part of the door header, that is sticking back too much, can be folded in and between the top material and tucked away. Much cleaner looking.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Ok, then I think I'm doing it right.

I got the top and bows to lay fairly flat on the tub, and they were folded really neat, but in the material I tucked into the tub, was kind of just stuffed in there. I didn't know if it too was supposed to fold up as neatly as the rest. Sounds like it's just supposed to get tucked in the tub any which way so long as nothing's getting pinched.

Thanks.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

There is also a boot made to cover that part if you dont like the messy look.
http://www.quadratec.com/products/91109_600.htm

Quick Reply: soft top folding