Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top flapping in the wind above passenger door

Old 07-27-2023, 02:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top flapping in the wind above passenger door

I just bought a 2012 Wrangler and noticed the soft top above the passenger door has a pretty big gap whenever I’m going 50-60 mph. It’s not ripped, the top is in correctly. It just looks like the soft top wasn’t made to attach there which doesn’t make sense, there’s no track, nothing ripped off. I attached a photo.
ANY IDEAS HOW I CAN CORECT THIS OR FIX IT?
*I have a 1992 YJ before I bought the 2012, so I know that the top is on correctly.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wish I had an answer for you, but if it helps you feel any better mine does that also. I just replaced the top fabric with a bestop brand replacement and it does the same thing. Passenger side, driving >50mph...usually windy days make it worse.
The following users liked this post:
Sroberts03 (07-28-2023)
Old 08-02-2023, 03:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't know if it's the same, but on my best top it says to adjust the cables if you notice any slack.

at the back there are a few holes that allow you to tighten the cables up.
Sroberts03 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-04-2023, 04:56 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I must be missing something. I think mine (Bestop) has a plastic strip that the front of the top hooks into. As long as the top is tight it won't come up. I drive 70+ on the interstate with no problems. It is of course noisy but not as bad as the factory top. Is something broke or not tight across the top?
Old 08-04-2023, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonandJanet
I must be missing something. I think mine (Bestop) has a plastic strip that the front of the top hooks into. As long as the top is tight it won't come up. I drive 70+ on the interstate with no problems. It is of course noisy but not as bad as the factory top. Is something broke or not tight across the top?
Do you have the actual soft top or just the bikini top?
On my best top there is a big fat header bar that has clamps built into it.
that clamps onto the factory hooks behind the Sunvisor.

The top I have is the best top trailview NX

The worst I get is some flapping on the inside, but it never shows a gap on the sides like what's shown.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:26 AM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

I think mine is a Trektop NX. It has been awhile but I think it came with a bar that was across the front and then the same latches pulled it tight across the front. It never has a gap and as you mentioned the top does flap a little (especially going against the wind). It has the extra support which helps a lot. Still much more quite than the original.
Sroberts03 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Trektop, that's it.
Trailview i think is something else from bestop.

I was actually expecting there to be a "header bar" that needed to be installed, then I could go for the bikini top for a quick removal option.
but instead, it has this quick release setup for the front, then you can flip it back to give it a targa type of a setup like the factory hard top.

user 729872082 (08-09-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RonandJanet

My yj had a plastic piece that fit into a track and would hook too all the the way around it. But the one on the jk is a Smittybilt and doesn’t have anything on the side above the doors. I think there is a tension cable like someone else had mentioned so I’m going to see if I can tighten that a bit. Otherwise I might just be Velcroing that little section to the roll bar until I can get a better top 😂

Quick Reply: Soft top flapping in the wind above passenger door