Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Flapping Sound

Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Soft Top Flapping Sound

Recently out of no where my Soft Top started making the flapping sound on speeds over 30MPH. I have take the top down and up numerous times to see if it was just error on my part and still does it. Any ideas?
Old 07-07-2008, 06:51 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine was whacking the top of the soundbar. I whined about it and they put some thin little sticky foam up there. It did stop it mostly, but a pool noodle would have worked better. I just keep forgetting to get one when i am at the store.

Oh, also, i leave the zippers up slightly on the rear window, then when i have the door windows down, the rear side soft windows dont suck in and hit the side bows quite so much.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My side windows somtimes flap against the arms of the top. I just ignore it or turn the radio up, but maybe some kind of foam on the arms might help.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

there is faom on the arms of mine, just not enough i guess.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine kinda flapped on the sides by the back doors where it didn't tuck in or anything, just help by the door. I added some sticky velcro to the door frame, the other side to the actual flap of the softtop, as well as super-glued just in case and it worked great. Never had any flapping on the top, not like my 06 TJ, that was a flap machine, thought it was going to take off at times.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon

Oh, also, i leave the zippers up slightly on the rear window, then when i have the door windows down, the rear side soft windows dont suck in and hit the side bows quite so much.

Why didn't I think of that....
Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 AM
JK Freak

i got the flap too...like all other 'nominal' sounds like this, nuthin' that crankin' the volume can't solve. FWIW, i didn't have it initially. it only started happening after the top had fully stretched out and caused no problems w/up and down. I'm thinking the fabric has stretched and that extra 1/4" to 1/2" is enough to catch the wind in that oh so sweet sounding way. F it!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

It is a classic problem with soft tops.

At first, they are tight as a drum and you think "wow, this top is amazingly quiet, as quiet as a hard top".

Then, over time, the fabric stretches and begins to start flapping and thumping.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:32 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
[snip]

Then, over time, the fabric stretches and begins to start flapping and thumping.

odd, sounds like your describing my exwife.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default flapping racket

My top started making a heck of a''flapping sound''. It had only been on a couple of weeks. The FRONT top bow (the one over the drivers head) is not attached to the top by screws, like the second one IS. The first top bow is secured by a Velcro ''tube'' that wraps around the top bow. Just driving the Jeep or putting the top up or down causes this Velcro ''tube to loosen, This results in a flapping or popping when you get up to speed. Just sit in each front seat and pull each half of the Velcro tight and you will be surprised at the difference. Worked for me.....

Quick Reply: Soft Top Flapping Sound