Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top Door Surround Knob Bolt Size?

Old 02-21-2011, 02:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Lecia12
8mm and 3 mm long? Thanks!
1/3" and barely 1/10". I don't think so.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I was thinking that was a bit short. Anyone have the length of these bolts or can I just carry the door surrounds in and fit that way?!?!?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Alright, I managed to get one of these out of my top without opening the top (in this cold weather, might not be possible to get it closed again). What I'm writing about is a screw with a large, plastic knob. The knob is knurled, is 12-mm high and 54-mm in diameter. On it is a steel (stainless, probably) shaft that is a total length of 83-mm (that is the exposed length after it emerges from the knurled knob). The diameter of the shaft is 8-mm. It has a shoulder (unthreaded section) from the point of exit from the knob, to 63-mm. From 63-mm to 72-mm it is threaded--1.25 mm thread pitch. The remaining few millimeters of the shaft to its end are unthreaded, and taper down to guide it into the receiving nut in the sports bar.

Now, this is the one off the rear of a 2007 four door--the last one back. Looking at the parts breakdown, it is part number 55397130AA. The one all the way in the front above the front door is the same part. The one in the middle appears to be shorter, if the drawing in the MOPAR parts breakdown is to be trusted. It is part number 55397132AA. You need four of the first part, and two of the second part to put door rails on a four door 2007 JK. Unfortunately for you, I can't get the short one (if it is indeed the short one) out without lowering my softtop--the knob bumps into the top frame when trying to unscrew it. Because of the cold, I don't want to release my top lest I not get it back in place. But, with the above info and a trip to the hardware store, I bet you can figure out how much shorter that middle bolt needs to be. Good luck and I hope that this helps!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Alright, I managed to get one of these out of my top without opening the top (in this cold weather, might not be possible to get it closed again). What I'm writing about is a screw with a large, plastic knob. The knob is knurled, is 12-mm high and 54-mm in diameter. On it is a steel (stainless, probably) shaft that is a total length of 83-mm (that is the exposed length after it emerges from the knurled knob). The diameter of the shaft is 8-mm. It has a shoulder (unthreaded section) from the point of exit from the knob, to 63-mm. From 63-mm to 72-mm it is threaded--1.25 mm thread pitch. The remaining few millimeters of the shaft to its end are unthreaded, and taper down to guide it into the receiving nut in the sports bar.

Now, this is the one off the rear of a 2007 four door--the last one back. Looking at the parts breakdown, it is part number 55397130AA. The one all the way in the front above the front door is the same part. The one in the middle appears to be shorter, if the drawing in the MOPAR parts breakdown is to be trusted. It is part number 55397132AA. You need four of the first part, and two of the second part to put door rails on a four door 2007 JK. Unfortunately for you, I can't get the short one (if it is indeed the short one) out without lowering my softtop--the knob bumps into the top frame when trying to unscrew it. Because of the cold, I don't want to release my top lest I not get it back in place. But, with the above info and a trip to the hardware store, I bet you can figure out how much shorter that middle bolt needs to be. Good luck and I hope that this helps!
I went to my storage loft and without half a day's work unpacking-I was able to fish one of the short screws from the package(two actually but not one of the long ones) I measured it to be 30mm or 1 3/16 with the same details as above. I'd be surprised if an aftermarket or hardware supplier sells the bolt with the same details of turnings for guides as the OEM parts. If you didn't receive the bolts are you sure you received all the framing parts except for the bolts? If the top isn't hot I don't know what the guy that sold the top will do with such unique hardware except hand them over when asked.
Meanwhile $19 X 6 = $120.00 and may be a lot easier to get from the dealer than buying something that may not work out during the install. If you didn't get all the plastic framing with the top you might want to tell the relatives it's a loss and start over to find a top.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 02-21-2011 at 09:40 AM. Reason: spelling error...more to follow?
Old 02-21-2011, 11:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you guys so much for all the info!!!

I did get all of the door surrounds, the bows, and the tailgate bar as well as the top and windows. I think I am good except for the bolts. I worked at Fastenal for a while and am going to try them first. I know I should be able to get the same diameter, length, and thread pitch in a regular bolt. I doubt I will be able to find a knurled point, but maybe.
I am also going to try a u-pull parts place and try my luck there.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was able to dig out. Hope these pics help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	long.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	129686   Click image for larger version

Name:	short.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	129687  
Old 02-21-2011, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the help guys. I found the size, ordered some today, going to try some sockets with knobs and see how they work.... I will post up the info in case someone else needs it.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
1/3" and barely 1/10". I don't think so.
I forgot to mention that this if for my 1/10 scale model... Sorry, just ran out to the garage and measured...

80mm and 30mm... Thanks for keeping me honest!
Old 02-24-2011, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Replacements

Ok this is for you guys who have lost the door surround bolts. There is no need to go to the dealer and pay $20.00 each for these. Just call or go to your local Fastenal and place an order. All for $18.58 before tax. Ask for a discount, they can give it to you most of the time. It won't be a stock item, but they usually can have it within 3 days or so. I am sure McMaster-Carr would have these also but here are the Fastenal part numbers to make it easy.

6-M8 x 38mm Rosette Knob #11102957 $.6371 each
4-M8-1.25 x 90 mm Stainless Steel Socket Head Cap Screw #MS2580090A20000 $3.17 each
2-M8-1.25 x 30 mm Stainless Steel Socket Head Cap Screw #MS2580030A40000 $1.04 each
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screw in door surround.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	130655   Click image for larger version

Name:	knobscrew.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	130656   Click image for larger version

Name:	knobs.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	130657   Click image for larger version

Name:	screws.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	130660  
Old 03-05-2011, 04:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks

I bought a top in the fall on ebay and didn't get these knobs with it. I was prepping the top so this is perfect timing for me. Thanks for the info. I'm running out today to order them.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Door Surround Knob Bolt Size?