Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Does your soft-top have plastic pieces in the sail panels?
YES
78.43%
NO
21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Soft Top Corner pieces??

Old 07-17-2008, 05:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duma3421
Can you post a pic. How do you secure the rear corners if the windows are out?
It's not those plastic straps. What the OP is missing are some plastic plates that are inside some sail panels to stiffen them up.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a deal on a Sunrider top for my 2 door. My standard top that came with my '07 X did not have the plastic stiffeners in the sails. The Sunrider I bought came with an '08 Sahara and it does have the stiffeners. I don't see any difference when going down the road but I have not yet taken the windows out of the new top and run with top up and no windows. Perhaps the stiffeners will help ease the billowing of the sails when running in this configuration. Just a guess though.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default same problem with my dealer

ok i have am 08 x dual top group and sunrider as well it was 7 months after purchase before i swapped them before summer. when i first tried to put the soft top on i thought i was an idiot because i could not get the rear panels to attach i felt like i was going to break the top to force it on. so i was worried id f-it up so i called a long term jeep owner buddy of mine to help me.

he was just as confused as i was. no matter how hard we tried it would not fit right. my inserts would fold an roll the last two inches to make it fit on the inside of the tub. if the insert was under the piece that fist under the tub to secure it on the jeep it wont fit.

i live a few miles from the jeep dealer so i went and asked the rapist, i mean salesman for his input....surprise he had no clue so i asked him to grab a set of keys for a model on the lot so i could see how it was installed....didnt help so i went and checked every soft top jeep on the lot and it was a 60 40 split as to weather or not they had the insert. 40% had them.

i personally think that jeep puts them to make up for the slack when the tops are cut and fitted im sure they stack and cut a pattern of twenty tops at a time like blue jeans. so if your off by 1 degree off center of a perfect cut all the tops pay and the bottom few could be a 1/4 in shorter than the top kinda like a revers trapizoid, or or upside-down gold bar.

i just took mine out and will replace them when the soft top goes in for long term storage.

best of luck with the soft top...im dropping mine off in a day or two to have all the bows replaced because of rust and corrsion, around the sunrider brackets, from the leaks

Last edited by aclokwerk; 07-21-2008 at 07:16 PM. Reason: doh for got to spell check again
Old 07-22-2008, 05:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My sunrider, purchased with jeep 6/5/08 has them
Old 07-22-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

the service guy told me that apparently they've changed the design because this is the only kind of top that he could find, unless they take one off of a Jeep on the lot...and even most of those have the top without the pieces. So, no big deal..I'll keep it, it's still under warranty so if it screws up I'll deal with it then.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Junkie

I figured out a way to roll my sail panels up and secure them with velcro and use straps from an old bike carrier to keep the top secured. I do not have the plastic support piece, so rolling it up was not a problem. I'll get some pics and post what it looks like, but it's holding well and now my sail panels are not get pulled and stretched when driving down the highway.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

i have a 2008 four door and was wondering if you will be posting the pictures for the sail panels.

Quick Reply: Soft Top Corner pieces??