Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: Does your soft-top have plastic pieces in the sail panels?
YES
78.43%
NO
21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Soft Top Corner pieces??

Old 07-16-2008, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top Corner pieces??

I recently had my 2-door soft top replaced under warranty because a seam was tearing, and it was leaking a little. The top that they replaced it with does NOT have the plastic pieces that go in the sail panels (above the tail lights). I went back to the dealer and retrieved the plastic pieces out of my old top to just swap them over to the new top....and there is no slot to slide these things into like my old top had. There's not even enough material there to just cut a new slit into it so I can slide them in. All they can tell me is that they don't know why, but maybe "they" have changed the design of the soft top and this is the new style....I'm not happy with that answer. It's not a huge deal, but it doesn't look "right"...it just doesn't fit the same.

So, my question is this....does your top have the plastic corner pieces or not?

Just wondering if this is normal enough to not worry about....
Old 07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-KJ
I recently had my 2-door soft top replaced under warranty because a seam was tearing, and it was leaking a little. The top that they replaced it with does NOT have the plastic pieces that go in the sail panels (above the tail lights). I went back to the dealer and retrieved the plastic pieces out of my old top to just swap them over to the new top....and there is no slot to slide these things into like my old top had. There's not even enough material there to just cut a new slit into it so I can slide them in. All they can tell me is that they don't know why, but maybe "they" have changed the design of the soft top and this is the new style....I'm not happy with that answer. It's not a huge deal, but it doesn't look "right"...it just doesn't fit the same.

So, my question is this....does your top have the plastic corner pieces or not?

Just wondering if this is normal enough to not worry about....
How do they expect you to attach the rear corners?

First I have heard of it. maybe your top was built on a Friday of a long weekend?
Check again with the dealer....
Old 07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

It attaches the same, but those rear sail panel pieces are just really flimsy because they have no support behind them....to look at it, you probably couldn't tell it's any different but I know it is and it's buggin' me.

And, the dealer ordered another replacement top to see if it comes in the same way so we'll see how that turns out. BTW, the replacement top is not even a complete top...it's just the vinyl, they had to swap over the header bar and the rest of the assembly. I was expecting a complete replacement....yay.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good luck with this.. sounds like they are willing to work with ya anyway.

My soft top is leaking up front... i may tell them i need the entire new "sunrider" assembly to stop the leak lol
Old 07-16-2008, 05:13 PM
***erator

MInes an 08 unlimited and I don't have the inserts.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
How do they expect you to attach the rear corners?

First I have heard of it. maybe your top was built on a Friday of a long weekend?
Check again with the dealer....
I think he's talking about a plastic stiffener in the sail panel itself, not the plastic strips on the bottom to tuck in...

Mine has it, but I have seen some JK's with the sail panels tied to the rear roll bars when the windows are out (I guess so that they don't flap in the wind ).
Maybe those JK's didn't come with them either
Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayland1985
I think he's talking about a plastic stiffener in the sail panel itself, not the plastic strips on the bottom to tuck in...

Also, I did check an Unlimited at work today and it didn't have them either...I'm confused.

On a good note, the new top doesn't leak AT ALL!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

bump for some more input....gotta call the service guy back tomorrow.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
JK Super Freak

OK, I just don't wanna chew the guy out demanding the right top if there is a possibility he's right. As long as others are like this, I guess it's not a huge deal. thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can you post a pic. How do you secure the rear corners if the windows are out?

Quick Reply: Soft Top Corner pieces??