Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft top bracket holding in the rear window won't stay on

Old 02-10-2009, 06:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft top bracket holding in the rear window won't stay on

So I've had this problem for a few months now and it really irks me, need some advice. I have the soft top and the plastic bracket on the rear drivers side where the rear window bar hooks in has somehow gotten really loose. It clips on like normal, but everytime I put the window back on, zip it up, and then hook in the final little flap over this bracket, it pops up, and sometimes comes all the way off. This wouldn't be that big of an issue, but I've noticed water leaking in, getting on the carpet in the back and all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is there anyway to get this bracket to be tight again? If not, where in the world would I get a new bracket? Do I need to go to the dealer?

Can't wait till it gets warm here and this becomes a non-issue...
Old 02-10-2009, 06:42 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

I had this problem when I first got my JK, took it back to the dealer and they ordered me new clips ( via warranty ) which I have not had any problems with for over a year and a half. I know others have also had this problem, some have even used a self tapping screw to secure them down.. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to put screws in it, I don't know where the pic is, but several people used a zip tie around the bottom lip of the clamp and fixed it.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joneszj
So I've had this problem for a few months now and it really irks me, need some advice. I have the soft top and the plastic bracket on the rear drivers side where the rear window bar hooks in has somehow gotten really loose. It clips on like normal, but everytime I put the window back on, zip it up, and then hook in the final little flap over this bracket, it pops up, and sometimes comes all the way off. This wouldn't be that big of an issue, but I've noticed water leaking in, getting on the carpet in the back and all.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Is there anyway to get this bracket to be tight again? If not, where in the world would I get a new bracket? Do I need to go to the dealer?

Can't wait till it gets warm here and this becomes a non-issue...
A dealership (not where I bought my JEEP) ordered me new ones at no charge and explained that if ya don't install em just right they will pop off. You must start the clip in the bottom lip and roll it up into the top. If they have been installed incorrectly enough they won't hold even though ya started doing it right. i have had no problem with my new clips.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:48 AM
JK Freak

FYI.....

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-tsb-re...tainer-on-body
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the ones from the TSB and they never worked right on my 2007. Always popped off. I think the body wasn't made quite right. They work correctly on the 09.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 AM
JK Junkie

This happened to me, too. My dealership had me demonstrate the problem (because they're apparently so knowledgable about Wranglers that they had no idea what I was describing to them), and after I showed them, they ordered me a replacement free under warranty... works great so far.

If the plastic wasn't molded just right, it won't be a tight fit, period - there's really no fix for it other than replacement (unless you want to drill through your metal - I didn't!)
Old 02-11-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same thing with RubyDoo and got a second clip and it was better but still not correct so i looked at very carefully and noticed that the metal flap on the outside that i clips onto was not in the correct position, so i bent it up slighly with a screw driver and been fine ever sence.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have this problem in the spring and summer. It seems the heat makes the clips more flexible. In the fall and winter it's cold enough in NY to keep the clips good and stiff.

This only seems to affect the left clip. I slide the soft top a little bit more left then normal and that seems to help also. But if I hit a big enough bump or when it rains heavily, the clip will pop off 9/10 times.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 07 has been the same way since I picked it up 2 years ago. I just used a couple of black zip ties to secure the clip to the tub. It's barely noticeable and has never given me trouble since.

Quick Reply: Soft top bracket holding in the rear window won't stay on