Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Top "Back Stays"

Old 06-12-2009, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Top "Back Stays"

Not sure I am using the right term of "back stay" but let me try and ask my question anyway...

Has anyone figured out how to roll up the back part of the soft to so that when the windows are out they don't flap around? I have figured out how to keep the tension on the top but not what to do with the "back stays". I figure if I can secure these then I don't need a bikini top.

By the way I have a 2008 4 door.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM
JK Newbie

I was about to ask the same question. I rolled up my sail panels yesterday, but couldn't really see I good way to keep them rolled up. I don't have the elastic straps for the back window. I think some people use them?
Old 06-12-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Newbie

I just fold each sail under itself and wrap it around the roll bar / sports cage and fasten it with Velcro straps that I bought at Lowes / Home Depot (I don’t remember which.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Fish Slayer
I just fold each sail under itself and wrap it around the roll bar / sports cage and fasten it with Velcro straps that I bought at Lowes / Home Depot (I don’t remember which.
do you have a pic of this? I would like to do this sometime
Old 06-12-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Newbie

I was looking for the same thing for my '09 2door when I found this:

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=3633

I contacted the owner who told me that it would not work on my 2 door JK as the sail panels have a stiffener in them. If yours does not have the stiffener, then it might work. Something to consider.

His email is: cloverpatch@insightbb.com

Hope this helps you out.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

If I understand the question, google

Clover Patch Convert-A-Top

or you can use some bungees to secure the rear of the top to the bedrails and roll up the sailpanels

edit: oop, sped beat me to it by 2 minutes
Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fish Slayer
Do you have a 2 door? I looked at doing this yesterday with my 4 door, but the sail panels weren't long enough to wrap around the roll bar.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

That product only works on the 2dr and TJs where the roll bar is right by the sails. With a 4dr this doesn't work.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:59 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, they do have stiffeners that are broken into 3 segments. Those 3 segments will wrap around the roll bar well enough to function and look reasonable. I have the 2 door and I have folded and strapped the sails to both the top (horizontal) tubes and the back vertical tubes with the home store Velcro straps. I prefer using the vertical tubes.

Next time you take your windows out, play around with the sails and you can quickly see if the look will be acceptable to you or not.

BTW, I think I remember somebody with a 4 door using the top (horizontal) tube to strap the sails to.

Quick Reply: Soft Top "Back Stays"