Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Soft Doors

Old 06-28-2010, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soft Doors

OK, so I recently entered the Jeep world with my first-ever Jeep, a 2010 Unlimited 4dr Sport 4wd. I love it and love driving with the top down/doors off, BUT, it's a pain to constantly remove the full metal doors and replace them, so I bought Bestop soft doors.

While they are MUCH lighter, they offer mimimal protection from the rain (allow water to easily drip in) and at speeds greater than 40mph, the tops start to pull out away from the door frames 1-2". I've adjusted the doors to see if I could get a better seal to the frame, preventing the wind from pulling them out, but I've had no luck.

Anybody have any tips, suggestions, advice or ideas...?

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get rid of them. They are worthless. I returned mine. I had REALLY low expectations and they exceeded those in the wrong direction. Everyone experiences the problems you noted. They aren't going to get better.

Buy factory half doors.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by drphil
OK, so I recently entered the Jeep world with my first-ever Jeep, a 2010 Unlimited 4dr Sport 4wd. I love it and love driving with the top down/doors off, BUT, it's a pain to constantly remove the full metal doors and replace them, so I bought Bestop soft doors.

While they are MUCH lighter, they offer mimimal protection from the rain (allow water to easily drip in) and at speeds greater than 40mph, the tops start to pull out away from the door frames 1-2". I've adjusted the doors to see if I could get a better seal to the frame, preventing the wind from pulling them out, but I've had no luck.

Anybody have any tips, suggestions, advice or ideas...?

Thanks!
its normal for a Soft door the pressure just pulls them out, atleast my TJ and YJ ones did the same thing. it wont hurt anything.

I love the soft doors, when we decide to go topless we throw them in the back just incase the weather turns..

Living in Ohio at the moment the weather can be 90 and sunny and raining the next minutes.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by saltman
Get rid of them. They are worthless. I returned mine. I had REALLY low expectations and they exceeded those in the wrong direction. Everyone experiences the problems you noted. They aren't going to get better.

Buy factory half doors.
and just where were you when i was in the market for these puppies?!?!? lol!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
its normal for a Soft door the pressure just pulls them out, atleast my TJ and YJ ones did the same thing. it wont hurt anything.

I love the soft doors, when we decide to go topless we throw them in the back just incase the weather turns..

Living in Ohio at the moment the weather can be 90 and sunny and raining the next minutes.

so when you're driving down the highway in the rain, does it just poor in through the tops of the doors?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:49 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by drphil
so when you're driving down the highway in the rain, does it just poor in through the tops of the doors?
Luckily on the JK i havent drove it with the soft doors in the rain yet, On the TJ and YJ it let a little in.

its sure better than no doors at all. Atleast thats how I look at it.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
Luckily on the JK i havent drove it with the soft doors in the rain yet, On the TJ and YJ it let a little in.

its sure better than no doors at all. Atleast thats how I look at it.
oh yeah, you're absolutely right...it's just that, for nearly a thousand dollars, well...I guess MY expectations were higher!

Since I do run doorless most of the time but prefer the neighborhood cats NOT to pee in my jeep at night, I do at least find them a convenient, quick barrier for that purpose!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the bestop soft doors and love them... if you take the time to set them up right then they will close well enough to not let rain in the jeep when parked... ad yes that means bending and adjusting both the top and bottom of the door....

I fashioned up a couple little hooks that I hook the fron doors when driving and that way the tops dont bow out... in an emergency i can still easily push the doors open to get out..

they are what they are... soft doors.. great to toss i the back of the jeep when rain is a possibility... my hard doors stay in the garage till fall....

-Christopher
Old 06-28-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Junkie

I have the soft doors and will run them year round. You have to treat them like the bitches they are. You need to literally bend the PISS out of the tops to have them sit in the channel that the OEM doors sit in. You need to preload the tops so they jam into the upper channel so they won't pull away at highway speeds. Up to 65MPH, they are good. But once a good gust gets them, they pull away. I can care less. You can throw them in the back when you wheel and throw them back on when you drive home.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Jeeparoo and Suffolk JK, thanks for both of your responses. That last one was absolute greatness...I guess I just need to manhandle em a bit and whip em into shape, literally!

Thanks guys,
DrPhil

Quick Reply: Soft Doors