Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

so no way to fix whistling from windshield replacement?

Old 11-05-2012, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said in your other thread it whistled before this replacement also? That you had it replaced under warranty? Was the one you had before the original?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

My replacement windshield (factory Mopar replacement) whistles at 35 mph and above. Figured I was alone with this, its been 5-6 months.

I just figured I would live with it, but how is it such a commom issue with replacement glass, especially factory glass?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Whistling

See "What's your opinion of my Jillys" in show and tell for photos. Placing the glass wrong can cause whistling without a leak. First quick fix was more mastic to fill gap around entire glass edge. Next installer placed black plastic trim around edge. Now my glass can last long time and take lots of hits without cracking. Two Canadian winters was the record with over 20,000 kilometres. The pic of the Jillys on the power line shows the trim well.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Winterwheeler
See "What's your opinion of my Jillys" in show and tell for photos. Placing the glass wrong can cause whistling without a leak. First quick fix was more mastic to fill gap around entire glass edge. Next installer placed black plastic trim around edge. Now my glass can last long time and take lots of hits without cracking. Two Canadian winters was the record with over 20,000 kilometres. The pic of the Jillys on the power line shows the trim well.
Where I live you are lucky to go a year without a replacement in a jeep, all of that mess will just make a mess for the next installation. I own a glass shop, and I'm even hesitant to change the windshield because I know it will just get broken soon again, haha.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:33 PM
JK Newbie

I had the opposite problem. When I had my factor windshield, I would get a whistle a certain speeds. When it was replaced due to a chip, the whistle went away. I was told by the windshield replacement guy that my factory winshield was crooked. I don't know if that's what cause the whistle, all I can tell you is that the whistle went away with a replacement windshield.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think my factory one makes noise, but it's hard to hear over the tires, wind noise on the hard top, exhaust under the cab, and radio jamming Michael McDonald
Old 11-05-2012, 07:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ballsdeep
I think my factory one makes noise, but it's hard to hear over the tires, wind noise on the hard top, exhaust under the cab, and radio jamming Michael McDonald
"Ain't no mountain high enough" would be a good tag line.

To the OP: the windshield just needs removing and re-installation. A small deviation from a perfect install will whistle. On my last jku II had a cracked windshield replaced twice before it didn't whistle.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:12 PM
JK Freak

Mine whistles at about highway speeds, I thought that's just how JK's are due to their removable top design. I guess not. My windshield was replaced as well. It even leaks after I wash the Jeep. I think it shouldn't be too hard to fix it without reinstalling the windshield. Sealing the edge with a silicone, that is normally used in bathrooms/kitchens should solve this, no?
Old 11-07-2012, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheTerminator
Mine whistles at about highway speeds, I thought that's just how JK's are due to their removable top design. I guess not. My windshield was replaced as well. It even leaks after I wash the Jeep. I think it shouldn't be too hard to fix it without reinstalling the windshield. Sealing the edge with a silicone, that is normally used in bathrooms/kitchens should solve this, no?
You'll just make a mess of it for the next one - and there will be a next one. Have the place that installed it make good on their workmanship. They need to pull it and reseal.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

My 2013 whistled right off the lot at speeds over45mph.
Dealer fixed it under warranty and found out it was a
twisted gasket at the lower driver's side corner.
No more whistling now !
Rob ....

Quick Reply: so no way to fix whistling from windshield replacement?