Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snow and Rust

Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the fall before it gets too cold, touch up all paint chips, give it a good solid wax. In the winter months I wash every chance I can between storms. Be sure you do an extra spray into those notorious area's where it traps salt and gravel and just hope that it does not rust to bad.

In the spring I hose it all down, hand wash, touch-up all the paint chips from shooting gravel, then a solid wax. Then I will crawl under the Jeep and wire brush any rust on the axle or frame and give it a good coating of rusteoleum paint and the muffler I wire brush and use BBQ high temp paint as this muffler rusts every freakin winter
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
There is a product called FluidFilm. It is supposed to be great to prevent rust and keep things lubricated. I haven't used it but have talked to a few people that swear by it. You could also use a spray lubricant or grease and coat all the nuts and bolts and brackets under there. Should help.
Do not use fluid film. It's a wax like film that you spray on. I would not use it on my vehicle.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DCJEEP
Do not use fluid film. It's a wax like film that you spray on. I would not use it on my vehicle.
You wouldn't use it on the underside? A lot of snow plow guys use it on the underside and say it prevents things from rusting. Like I said, I've never used it but have heard good about it.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by T&ERun

You wouldn't use it on the underside? A lot of snow plow guys use it on the underside and say it prevents things from rusting. Like I said, I've never used it but have heard good about it.
We use it at my work to cover our power tongs when we ship them. Does it protect against rust yes but its a major pain in the ass to clean off. I guess if you can't see it, it wouldn't be an issue

IMO just get it undercoated and your good to go.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:56 AM
JK Newbie

I do it the old fashion way. Mix a little Kerosene with drain oil and spray it on in every nook and crany on the under side. I do it every fall....
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCJEEP

We use it at my work to cover our power tongs when we ship them. Does it protect against rust yes but its a major pain in the ass to clean off. I guess if you can't see it, it wouldn't be an issue

IMO just get it undercoated and your good to go.
Why would you remove it? I use it at work and on my rig and it's great stuff both as a lubricant and rust control
Old 02-09-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the underside sprayed by krown. It's my first winter in the jk but I had 4 winters in the tj and the krown worked well. I'll have the jk resprayed in the fall before next winter. During the winter I wash the jeep about once a week and clear all the roadsalt off. What else can you really do?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biggy

Why would you remove it? I use it at work and on my rig and it's great stuff both as a lubricant and rust control
What if you have to work on the jeep?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Its the salt that causes the corrosion and rust not the snow necessarily. I hose down my JK a couple times a week top/body and undercarriage. The salt in itself is corrosive and I find when my Jeep is really salty it holds a lot of moisture on it. When its hosed off its still dirty but is salt free and dry. Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:02 AM
JK Freak

just wash it often. even if its a mess outside.

but before the winter hits, i drown it in wd40. keeps things from sticking as much.

do it again every 2 months or so during the long winter.

i keep the body painted as well as can. clean up the scratches and stuff. but the skids underneath that take a beating in the spring/ summer/ fall are hopeless. you could paint those things every weeek. they are still going to rust

Quick Reply: Snow and Rust