Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snow and Rust

Old 02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow and Rust

Hey I was wondering what the snow guys do with their JKs for rust if they do anything.

I'm from AZ and there is never snow here and I don't travel in snow ever. What do you guys do to your JKs if you do anything to prevent excessive rust?
Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

Wash under the jeep when you get home to get off all the salt from the road.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wash it after the salt is gone off the roads, its about the only thing you can do. If there's a break between winter storms, take it through a car wash after a couple days of it being clear and get the undercarriage washed off.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2011, 07:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before the winter came i sprayed a few cans of Rustoleum Undercoating I also painted the muffler and axles with rustoleum black paint. So when spring comes i can take the pressure washer and clean all that salt and dirt off along with the paint
Old 02-08-2011, 07:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nothing. Lol
Old 02-09-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Newbie

I park mine for the winter. Only way to stop the rust. Idiots here salt the roads every time the sun comes up. I should send them a bill for new cars.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:00 AM
JK Freak

I agree wit rockr, as they salt the roads here if it even looks like it's going to snow. After awhile you drive on streets that are white with salt residue. I try to keep it sprayed off as much as I can on the undercarriage, but just about impossible until Spring comes.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Rust Never Sleeps

The life expectancy for a vehicle in the Salt Belt in Central NY is 10 years-everything underneath rusts away.The best preventative is a product called "Rust Cop",it is sprayed on & in every thing underneath,inside panels etc.It's done every year,schoolbus fleets,UPS, towns for their plow trucks.You can also buy the product & "do it yourself".Has an excellent reputation up here.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not realy from the north. But I thought that I would just offer a few more suggestions.
Simple and cheep - wash it!
For a little more - paint it!
And to top it off - cathodic protection!
Last one - dont drive it!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is a product called FluidFilm. It is supposed to be great to prevent rust and keep things lubricated. I haven't used it but have talked to a few people that swear by it. You could also use a spray lubricant or grease and coat all the nuts and bolts and brackets under there. Should help.

Quick Reply: Snow and Rust