Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snow chains

Old 10-29-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have chains for my JK but I have used them before on a Bronco. There were times that mud + mountain trails = must have chains to get there without sliding off the edge.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, now that we have lot's of snow here in So Cal, I am reawakening this thread. I just checked and HWY 138 is requiring ALL vehicles to PUT ON THEIR CHAINS, not just carry them. A friend of mine was up there yesterday in a 4WD Rodeo and they made him turn back to get his chains.

So, who has a stock Rubi and has used chains on it? How about those Spikes Spyder things? Do they work well on our Rubi mud tires? They are very pricey ($500+) for our tires, but look pretty easy to install, and don't wrap over the inside of the tires at all. Anyone used them?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Enjoy the snow, boys. It's been 45 deg (cent) here for days and half the state's on fire.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Rudd Grip 4x4 chains, which are very low profile, and they would still hit the brake lines up front on full turn. The back was fine, just enough clearance on the inside to clear the suspension link. Now I have installed some spidertrax spacers and every thing clears much better so I can run them on all four wheels.

Scott
Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ssmathis
I have Rudd Grip 4x4 chains, which are very low profile, and they would still hit the brake lines up front on full turn. The back was fine, just enough clearance on the inside to clear the suspension link. Now I have installed some spidertrax spacers and every thing clears much better so I can run them on all four wheels.

Scott
I've got 35's on AEV Pintlers with a 4.7" backspacing and a RE 3.5 lift. I don't know how the Rubicon Express arms compare, clearance wise, to the stock arms. I run USA made LaClede HD Mud and Snow chains and I clear everything fine. I run a pretty agressive tightener and run down the road at 30 with no problems. These are by no means "S" class chains and are the same as we run on our oilfield semi's. I've used them in the snow and rock of Moab in the winter and really like the combination of chains and siped KM2's. Now I will confess they are a chore to put on.

To the poster from Calgary who said chains aren't needed: our town has a population of about 48k with another 60-70k in surrounding areas. Our local purveyor of quality chains (meaning non Chinese crap) sold out eight semi trailer loads of chains with another 5 on the way. Most of these go to businesses who have a strong financial interest in getting to location on time. With a 50,000.00 a day rate being a couple of hours late can cause a 4000.00 back-charge.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WranglerDan
Enjoy the snow, boys. It's been 45 deg (cent) here for days and half the state's on fire.
Jebus. That's bloody awful. I'll take -32C over that kind of heat any day.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ryno
I've driven in over 20 inches (.5 m) of snow and I've never used chains.

Do JKs really come with 26" tires in Australia? The standard tire size on Rubicon models in the States is 255/75R17.
They did on the entry-level model in '07. Now they come with 17" rims standard and 18" for the Rubicon

Quick Reply: Snow chains