Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Snow chains

Old 08-13-2008, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry but I find this very funny. Sorry to anyone who owns a Mustang. Any other vehicle and it would be just as funny.
Scotty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mustangpic2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	11764  
Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by CGScotty
Sorry but I find this very funny. Sorry to anyone who owns a Mustang. Any other vehicle and it would be just as funny.
Scotty
Easy now.
I may be an a-hole, but stupid doesn't fit the bill. (excluding giving Mobil1 a 2nd chance on oil filters)
Old 08-22-2008, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CGScotty
Scotty
Seen that so many this, its helarius, mostly on Volvo’s and BMW’s up in the Alps.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Snow chains are illegal in Alberta, Canada.

I've never understood why they're needed in areas that receive far less snow than we do, driving in the snow isn't really that hard?

Even in my old Honda Accord! Why would you ever need snow chains on a 4 X 4?
Old 08-23-2008, 09:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brizy

I've never understood why they're needed in areas that receive far less snow than we do, driving in the snow isn't really that hard?

How certain are you about that?

I live in Calgary. If you look at all of those trucks driving around "Oil Country", you'll notice that almost all of them are carrying chains. Yes, most of the time they are used on oil&gas or logging roads, but if the situation merits their use, I cannot see a police or DOT officer writing you a citation for running jewelery. I've used them on publicly maintained roads when the conditions warranted it.

I should know...I drive one of them there trucks in that helps in the business of brining that black stuff outta the ground in "Oil Country". My company's policy states that no truck will ever leave the shop without a set of chains that fits.

In addition to everything that I just said, let's bear in mind that we're talking about using chains off road. That means the following:

#1. Alberta's traffic laws don't apply.

#2. Conditions off road can be worse than what you encounter on road. When there's white stuff on the ground, things can get slippery. That's where chains come into play...even on a 4X4 vehicle.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Brizy,
Hi Guy! I've never had to resort to chains in snow. During a true ice storm the ice that forms is rock hard and a very thin layer of water from the rain even makes trying to stand dangerous. I've been at MVA scenes where someone was simply standing and all of sudden they and the truck / car they were leaning on started sliding down a very very mild grades. Ice storms are truely different from a snow event. The Laws of Physics are very simple...if there is sufficent lack of friction an object will move very easily...be it a compact car, 4x4, or a semi. I agree that chains are generally not needed for snow. When responding to an emergency we cannot jump into our vehicles and "hope" that we will not have problems getting to the scene...we HAVE to get there. Take care... Mike
Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by w squared
How certain are you about that?

I live in Calgary. If you look at all of those trucks driving around "Oil Country", you'll notice that almost all of them are carrying chains. Yes, most of the time they are used on oil&gas or logging roads, but if the situation merits their use, I cannot see a police or DOT officer writing you a citation for running jewelery. I've used them on publicly maintained roads when the conditions warranted it.

I should know...I drive one of them there trucks in that helps in the business of brining that black stuff outta the ground in "Oil Country". My company's policy states that no truck will ever leave the shop without a set of chains that fits.

In addition to everything that I just said, let's bear in mind that we're talking about using chains off road. That means the following:

#1. Alberta's traffic laws don't apply.

#2. Conditions off road can be worse than what you encounter on road. When there's white stuff on the ground, things can get slippery. That's where chains come into play...even on a 4X4 vehicle.
I work in the oil and gas business in the Colorado Rockies and agree with you 100% Chains are great. I carry a full set on my work truck and seem to end up using them more in mud than any other time. But going uphill on hardpacked snow they can be a lifesaver.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:33 AM
JK Freak

Truck driver here as well. We always carry chains in the winter time. We do heavy haul, and over dimension stuff. Sometimes both. Will attach a pic when I can.

Last edited by Choppus; 10-29-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brizy

I am going to assume that its very flat where you live. I live in very steep mountains, and with a fair amount of snow/ice, you wont get up those hills without chains.

Also, they are required to use by law here according to the road conditions. We have R1, R2, and R3.

R1 = 2wd with snow tires ok, 4wd ok.

R2 = 2wd must use chains, 4wd with snow tires ok.

R3 = No 2wd's beyond that point, 4wd must use chains.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have cable chains for my 97 Sahara and they stay on the vehicle more or less the entire winter seeing how this jeep is used only for plowing my steep driveway.

I had to switch to the cable chains (they do not tear up the asphalt compared to "v" chains) because the jeep kept sliding on the slippery stuff and got stuck a few times in deep snow. They really made a world of difference and are very easy to put on/take off. They work so well I've thought about getting cable chains for the JK for when I go snowboarding up north. I figure if the road is impassable without them then at least I'd have a fighting chance with them.

But I took the jeep down the road a few times during a snow storm so I could gas up and the ride was less than desirable even at 15mph.

Quick Reply: Snow chains